What's new

About to make a jump on a used HK Sig. 2.0 does it compete with Lexicon, EAD ect... (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
I've not heard much about this unit as far as it's level of capability compared to other popular surround sound preamps. I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences with it as well as compared it to others. How are it's music surround modes? Lastly,is $400 a good deal?

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I think the H/K Sig 2.0 is quite a good preamp. I owned one until recently, when I sold it in anticipation of getting my Outlaw 950.

However, I sold mine on eBay for $330. I think that is the going rate for a USED model. At $400, you might be paying $25-$50 too much if it has DTS (mine didn't).

However, I don't think ANY version of the H/K Sig 2.0 (there were two -- with and without DTS) had Logic 7.

MarkO

Second Unit
I have owned the Sig 2.0 for about a year now. Picked it up for 400.00. I also own the matching 2.1, 5 channel amp. This was, and still is my first pre/pro, so I really cant compare it to any other pre/pro. I can tell you thats it sounds better than any reciever I have ever owned. (and I have owned many). 900.00 for a preamp and matching amp is hard to beat. A couple of things to watch out for with the 2.0 is to make sure you have the newest software version 2.10a, There was also a new prom made available after the 2.10a software had become available that adresses a few bugs still present with the 2.10a software revision. H/K has the board available free of charge to all registered 2.0 owners. Installing it requires you to open the unit, swap a board with the new one and reset the unit to its default settings.

Keir H

Second Unit
Thanks Marc for the info. Do I just contact HK for the chip when I register? By the way, what major brand receivers did you try? Have you compared you setup to anything else since you've bought it? If so, what.

thanks!

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
In my opinion the matching 2.1 amp is a much better product than the processor. Processor has great looks and seems to be built well, however I had many reliabilty issues when I owned mine three years ago. Perhaps if it is a refurbished unit, some of these problems have been ironed out since I had mine or I could of just had bad luck:frowning: .
How it compares to Lexicon, EAD or other higher end stuff. It is not at that level. It would be more on the level of Adcom, Rotel, etc. However all that being said at a price of $400 that is one hell of a bargain.
By the way, I never sold my 2.1 amp when I moved from the 2.0 to a Theta Casa Nova and a Bryston 5B-St amp. SO basically my 2.1 has been doing rear surround duties only for three years. So low hours and excellent condition. If you are interested in this amp to match send me an email. $500 obo
Hopefully I didn't just break some huge rule of the forum:b .

Martice

Screenwriter
I purchased the HK 2.0 and I like the sound of the unit. It was actually to be used for movies while using a 2-channel preamp for music. I have the 2.10a version and it seems to work ok except for one thing. The bass management isn't quite as flexible as I'd like. It won't allow you to play the sub when your front speakers are set to the 'large' setting. Fortunately, HK is coming out with an upgrade which was discussed in a earlier post, that will remedy that problem. I would like to purchase an Outlaw ICBM and the only way to use the unit properly is that I need more flexibility from bass management. Luckily, HK seemed to listen.

Keir H

Second Unit
Martice, so it's true that they still support this processor? I just got it in the mail yesterday but yet to set it up. I have a HK THX AVP1 right now. I hope it mates well with my HK 5800 amp also. Did you like the sound of it in 2 channel at all? How do I get more info on this upgrade? thanks!

Martice

Screenwriter
Yes Keir it's true. I spoke to Bob Popham (who's one of the designers of the software used in the HK Processor), and he told me that they should have the new release in about 4-6 weeks.
You can contact him at RJPC.com. He's a very friendly guy and will spend almost as much time as you have questions to ask.
As far as 2-channel performance goes, I think it does a fine job in my system. Although I originally intended to use it as a HT processor, I thought it was good enough to hold me over as a 2-channel pre amp until I get my tubed preamp which also has a HT bypass switch.
One thing you may not understand about the unit is that when you are using the remote and going to different commands on the HK unit, you have to wait for the commands to switch before pressing the next command. The total wait between each press is about 1/2 second and really shouldn't be a factor but to those who are used to digital switching will notice the slight delay in between commands.
At the price you received your unit for I think you'l enjoy it a lot despite the many more feature packed pre/pros on the market today.
*** Make sure you send in that warrranty card!!!!!

J

John Morris

I agree with LarryB on this one. In the $400 range, the SN 9080r is probably the one to beat; especially if the HK2 doesn't have Logic 7.

Jeff H

Stunt Coordinator
I owned a Fosgate 3a and a Sig 2.0. The ONLY advantage the 2.0 has is DD and DTS. I have since upgraded to a Lex DC-2. IMHO, I would skip the Sig 2.0 and save up until you can get a Lex or maybe the new Outlaw. 6-axis mode with 7 speakers sounds almost as good as Logic 7. The stereo mode in the AVP1 (same as 3a) will blow away the sig 2.0. If you want DD/DTs, I would keep the setup you selling and forget about the Sig. You will be gaining nothing, other than convenience, and lose a lot of quality and options. Trust me, keep what you have! The AVP1 is a GREAT preamp! Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks