What's new

About to lose it. (1 Viewer)

AnthonyD

Auditioning
First, I should say I am truly a newbie when it comes to this subject. I recently purchased an Onkyo S760 HTiB which I am using with a DirecTV Philips DSX5500 receiver and Sony Grand Wega Projection LCD. I should also note that the Philips receiver was an "open box" purchase. The receiver is connected via optical digital to the receiver. Initially, I was getting surround sound, when available, through the satellite channels. Now, I am not. I am still getting surround sound via CD and DVD player. I have gone through the owners manual about 20 times. I've cleared the receiver settings and reset everything several times with the same results. The only two things that have happened between now and the time surround was working have been a fuse being turned off to the outlet supplying the system and my wife messing with the remotes. Is it possible that this "open box" receiver is bad? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Probably not if everything else is working. Do you have the digital output turned on(phillips). Connections good and optical cable unkinked?
I am not sure you need to do that but check the setup.
Hook up the analogs and use that till it comes to you....most tv sound is not surround anyways

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Anthony,

The problem is almost certainly with the setup of your satellite receiver. Most DD capable sat receivers require you to enable DD output in the setup menu, otherwise they only output PCM via the digital output, which will only get you 2 channel pro-logic at most. My Sony sat receiver is like this. If you have an owner's manual for that Philips it might be a good idea to check it out.

If you have no manual, maybe post a new thread in the A/V sources forum headed something like "no DD from digital out on Philips DSX5500 sat receiver" and maybe someone who owns the same box will help ya out.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Why don't we put a big sticky somewhere on the HTF home page:

"No sound when you play DTS? Dolby Digital doesn't lock in, only Dolby Surround? Please Click Here.

Better yet, why don't manufacturers make this little detail clear from the start, it would save a lot of frustration.

AnthonyD

Auditioning
Thanks a million for all the input - will attempt all suggestions tonight. Glad I didn't blame my wife.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks