What's new

About to get a Pioneer VSX-49TX - any reason not to? (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Why are you so interested in throwing money away? I think you should keep your 5800. The 49TX nor the 5803 is really an upgrade, it more of a lateral grade. The 49TX or 5803 doesn't really offer anything significant from what the 5800 already offers. The 5800 is overkill in terms of what features you are really going to be using. With the execption of Pro-logic2, I personally don't think thats a must have feature, what features does the 49TX and 5803 has that the 5800 doesn't thats that are really pratical?
Once again we are in a good thread only to be threadcrapped on by Jaleel.

Prologic 2, THX Ultra2, Component switching conversion(which even the 5800 doesn't have), and the auto calibration feature are just some of the components that make the 49tx a better unit than the 5800 IMHO.

Thread crappers are a reason I just want to go away from this forum. Jaleel, Please learn something first about the products of which you have no clue about before you flame someone like that.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Obi were the speakers set to large when the shut down occured?

The THX intro on TPM is mostly bass[lots of it] so if yor mains were set to small,then no shut down should happen at all.

John Doran

Screenwriter
jaleel,

the denon 5803 and 5800 upgrade kit has a variable crossover. which is huge. for me, anyway.

the burr-brown dac's will be great, too.

- jd

JaleelK

Second Unit
the denon 5803 and 5800 upgrade kit has a variable crossover. which is huge. for me, anyway.

the burr-brown dac's will be great, too.

An upgrade kit makes sense to me, buying entire new unit for a bunch of useless features that these manufacturers are going to convince you, in about 9 months to a year, that those features are obsolete, doesn't make sense to me. A year from now, many of us we be convinced by these manufacturers that we need get rid of our present hardware and upgrade to something else.

JaleelK

Second Unit
Let people spend their money they way they see fit ok? No one asked your opinion on whether to buy a 49TX or 5803. Your spending habits are your business but, does everyone have to be like you? Really man, your constant posting about spending money is really becoming tiresome. Give it a rest. If you had something to contribute in a positive light instead of insisting people are wasting their money, then that would be great.. stick too the topic (if you can). Rant over...>>

I really mean to be negative, I think the original poster put forth the question, he said he was about to purchase the 49TX but asked "any reason not" and all I was doing was given my opinion on why I don't think he shouldn't. I do believe the man already owns the 5800, which is a great unit, if you need to have more features, some of which I feel are useless, why not just upgrade the present unit you already have, its usually cheaper to do it that way.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Lewis,

Now that you mention it, both the mains and center were set to large. The MCACC wants to set my mains and center to large when allowed to do everything automatically. I only noticed this when I went into the settings to do some manual tweaking.

Now that I have everything setup properly (for my room/system), I suspect I would not have a problem playing anything at reference level. I'll take some time this afternoon to change the speaker connections from the Sumo amp to verify.

Miguel Stanic

Stunt Coordinator
Exactly how does this auto calibration work?

Are you saying that, after the test is done, we need to ensure that our speakers are not set to large. What about the speaker levels. I'm sure it deviates from the zero setting for each speaker after the test. Are you guys still using an SPL meter to set the speakers to a reference level of 75db, from the listening position, even after the test is done. How good/accurate are the settings from the test that the 49TX runs?

Robert George

Screenwriter
Miguel:

The MCACC is a relatively complex auto-calibration feature. Using an omnidirectional mic (included) placed at the listening position, the MCACC emits a series of varying test tones. The calibration program analyzes these tones and sets a variety of settings. Channel delay (distance), channel level, and speaker size are all set as well as two different room equalization curves are set. All seven full range channels (subwoofer not eq'd) have an eq on them. There is an "all channel" mode that adjusts all channels to a preprogrammed eq curve based on George Martin's Air Studios in London. The second (and more useful) mode attempts to eq the center and surrounds to match the front mains.

As I said, when I run this program, the system programming wants to set my left, right, and center speakeers to large, probably because they have useful frequency response below 80Hz. I prefer to setup my system with all channels crossed at 80Hz. This has to be reset manually after the auto-calibration routine is completed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks