What's new

About to get a Pioneer VSX-49TX - any reason not to? (1 Viewer)

PaulKH

Second Unit
Seems like a great receiver. One thing I really like is the video conversion - it will simplify cabling a lot.

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
My only complaint about the 49TX is a minor one: it doesn't let you adjust the DPL2 parameters. Aside from that, I love it.

Jon Teddlie

Stunt Coordinator
Paul, I just received mine Thursday and am really impressed so far. The video conversion is really nice, when deciding on this receiver the conversion feature was simply a bonus, but now I feel like it is one of the best features.

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
Once you get the 49TX, try to obtain a DTS 96/24 sampler. (DTS Demo #6 or DVD-Audio Sampler Vol. 1) Some 49TXs and 47TXs does not play the DTS 96/24 track in "96Khz." I came across a 47TX that doesn't display "96kHz" at my dealer. Mine plays it fine. Read this Link Removed to find out more.
Make sure you read page 47 before you start. Loudness must be "off," tone bypassed, and use the Standard mode. "Auto" or "5.1"

Chip E

Screenwriter
I'm pumped too! Looks like my guy at Tweeter should have a 49TX for me maybe today. I've been waiting since the last week of December for it.
I started out with Pioneer gear many years ago with an SX-780 stereo receiver, M-510 magazine changer and some Pioneer speakers... all still working in the garage :D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Paul,

I upgraded to this receiver's baby brother -- the 47TX -- a week ago. So far, I am really enjoying the receiver. It's a big improvement in sound quality over the Sony DA50ES that it replaced -- especially with music. The unit does run a lot warmer than my old receiver, so make sure you give it lots of room for ventilation.

I do not think the 47TX performs the video conversion (although it does have high bandwidth component video switching). At least, I could not find any mention of it in the manual. This was not an issue for me, since my two component video connections are direct from the DVD player and HD tuner to the monitor.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
Scott,

It's a big improvement in sound quality over the Sony DA50ES that it replaced -- especially with music.
I always enjoy hearing about others experiences in changing equipment. What in particular did you notice as big improvements between your old, and new receiver sound quality wise?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Mark,

Music seemed to have more depth and richness (for lack of a better description) with the new Pioneer receiver. The level of detail was also increased -- I heard a few subtle details in some recordings that I never noticed before.

One other benefit -- the lower 80Hz crossover setting really seemed to help on lower male voices in the center channel during movie dialog. My old Sony DA50ES has a rather high 100+Hz crossover (I think it's around 120Hz, but Sony does not list it in the specs). Also, my subwoofer is located in the back of the room, so I did suffer from directional bass problems with the higher crossover.

FYI, for CD listening I am using an optically-connected Sony CD carousel, so I am using the DACs in the receivers. I also connected the 5.1 channel analog inputs of my Panasonic RP-91 to the Elite and have listened to two DVD-Audio discs. I cannot compare them to my old receiver, though, since the Sony did not have the 5.1 inputs for DVD-Audio. I used the DIRECT mode on the receiver for CD playback to avoid any DSP processing in the receiver (same as I did on the Sony).

I am driving B&W 600 Series 2 speakers -- 604S2 mains, 602S2 surrounds, LCR6S2 center and ASW1000 subwoofer. These are fairly power-demanding speakers, so I also suspect that the beefer amplifier section of the Pioneer is also contributing to the improved sound. The sound is cleaner and clearer at higher listening levels.

The Sony was a fine receiver at it's price point and age (I've had it for 3.5 years). I would expect the Pioneer to outperform it at the much higher price point. So far, I have not been disappointed. My dealer offers a 30 day return policy, but unless something crops up over the next couple of weeks that I do not like, I will be keeping the Pioneer.

CarlP

Agent
I just hooked up my 49tx yesterday. I am still working out a few bugs though (you can't have small front spks with large rears,etc.) I will need to spend a little time burning the amp in, the sound out-of-the-box is a bit harsh. The surround sound processing is fantastic! I noticed a big improvement over my Denon AVP-8000. This IS the receiver to own, IMHO.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"About to get a Pioneer VSX-49TX - any reason not to? "

Only reason that I can think of is the Denon 5803...looks like it should be in stores by next month. Spending the money on a flagship receiver, you should check out all there is to offer.

The Pioneer is a phenomenal piece of gear from what I've heard and read.

Jeremy

rajiv

Stunt Coordinator
The VSX-49TX seems to be the top receiver for now. The Denon 5800/3 is great, but it lacks Pioneer's MACC adjustment capability.

Drake

Agent
Great! Time to upgrade the VSX-07TX I've had fore a couple of years. That'll go over well at home...:D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The MCACC (Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration System) works pretty well. This feature is also present on the 47TX that I purchased. The only adjustments I made over the auto calibration were speaker size (it set all my speakers to LARGE for some reason) and boosted the LFE channel a little (bass was a little low). The automatic room equilization only changed parameters slightly, but the pink noise signals sounded identical from all speakers after calibration. This was not the case with my old Sony 50ES. It certainly provided a smoother sound than I could have done myself without additional measuring equipment (beyond the SPL meter I own).

FYI, I compared the 47TX to the Denon 4802. Both the 49TX and Denon 5800/03 were out of my price range.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Rajeek,
Couldn't have said it any better.... Ijust found out i have to wait till Thursday for my 49TX to arrive at Tweeter :frowning: I can wait i suppose, i've waited this long, lol..

Jon Teddlie

Stunt Coordinator
Geez Chip it seems like you have been waiting on that receiver longer than most on the Outlaw 950.. Is there a reason I may have missed on why you have to buy it from Tweeter and wait for months? Just curious..

Jon Teddlie

Stunt Coordinator
I'm having a small problem, I can't get the DTS logo to come up on the display. I have tried several DVDs and see the DPL2,THX,Dolby Digital but no DTS. I have also tried many different sound modes standard,thx etc with no luck. Everything sounds great but I'd like to listen to the DTS track if a movie offers it. On the Gladiator disc I chose DTS in the main menu and my RP91 shows DTS but not the Pioneer receiver.. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Chip E

Screenwriter
"Geez Chip it seems like you have been waiting on that receiver longer than most on the Outlaw 950.. Is there a reason I may have missed on why you have to buy it from Tweeter and wait for months? Just curious.."
Well, i think the OutLaw camp has been waiting since like June? I've been waiting for the 49TX since about the second week of December.. I'm not sure what the problem is but, i do believe i'll get it this week (hopfully!).
The reason i have to get it from Tweeter is, i'm not paying anything for it.. It's a trade for my B&K 307. I got a couple of lemons so, my guy at Tweeter is do'n the deed for me. I want the features the 49TX has and B&K has no clear upgrade path for it's customers. Don't get me wrong, i love the 307.. it's sounds incredible. Moving to the 49TX will keep me content for some time to come (i believe, lol..). I really can't bitch, seeing i've had a 307 (lemon or not) in my crib since last April.
Rajeek,
That's interesting that you were able to get yours that fast? Tweeter isn't carrying Pioneer Elite receivers except for special order. The reason i was given by my guy for that is, Tweeter was upset with many quality issues and repairs that needed to be done on previous Elite receivers. Apparently, Tweeter had alot of problems with the units they carried and sold to their customers. I dunno...
I'm a old Pioneer fan from way back.. I'll be happy to give the 49TX a place in my rack ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks