What's new

about to get a dvd audio capable player... (1 Viewer)

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
i am getting the toshiba 4700 (from the toshy 2700)...do i need to have an "DVD audio ready" reciever to match (looking at the Technics 1050). My current reciever is a technics DX 930. Or is my 930 all ready to go (i figure my 930 recieves the digitial input signal so why would it matter if something is dvd-audio ready - dts is dts signal and dd signal is dd signal; sounds like marketing to me)...

thx for the help guys...

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Darryl,

Your plan is great except for one minor detail.

Except for some very expensive gear, DVD-Audio is strictly analog output.

While the 4700 will output a downsampled stereo track digitally during DVD-A playback, if Digital out is selected, it is nowhere near the potential quality of DVD-Audio.

Regardless of brand, you need a receiver with 5.1 inputs with analog bypass.

Regards,

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
hmmm...but my 930 is 5.1 and has a surround sound hooked and it's blaring Heat right now...but as far as surround sound..it sounds nice, but I am talking true audiophile way of listening to music ....STEREO (just at higher resolution). But if I do want surround sound..I have to hook up RCA cables to 6 channels?

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Darryl,

I think you are confusing different formats. DVD-Audio is not refering to audio on DVD but rather a specific format. In other words, DVD-Audio is NOT Dolby Digital or DTS. No matter whether the DVD-Audio recording is two channel or multi channel in order to take advantage of the full resolution of the music you will need to use analog cables.

I have a Technics SA-DX940 powering my sub...it doesn't have any 5.1 inputs analog inputs. I would doubt that the 930 does. I was pleased with the overall performance of the 940 though for the price. I would surmise that for $350 (or less) the SA-DX1050 would work very well.

Regards,

Dan Hine

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Dan,

Exactly correct. The most you'll get out of a digital output is a downsampled, dowmnixed version.

This would be the equivalent of taking a 20 year old, superb Scotch and mixing it with equal parts water. Sure you can drink it, and you can get a feel for it, but in the end, you just aren't getting the full measure of the product.

On a side note, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the two solutions that can (or very soon will be able to) do a digital output of DVD-Audio without downsampling. Meridian has their 800 DVD machine with the 861 Preamp/Processor, which goes for over US$35K. Denon will shortly release their 5803 Receiver with the SD-9000 DVD player which will also do a digital output of DVD-Audio without downsampling.

Regards,

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
but can't i just use the 2-channel analog outputs on my dvd-a player (i really don't care for surround) and get the high resolution audio?

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
A DVD audo player has the decoder needed to hear the high resolution dvd audio track built into the player thus you need to connect the players 6 channel outputs into a compatible receiver with 6 channel inputs. If you just use your two channel outputs than it would be no different than taking your current DVD player and doing the same.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Jon_W:

Some players have both stereo and 5.1 outputs. L/R are active on both (in most cases) at all times.

Daryl:

The answer is, it depends.

For stereo playback, many titles have dedicated stereo mixes. Some titles require a downmix, that I found (frankly) not good sounding, but that's just me. Some titles don't allow downmix, so you'd get just the left and right out of a surround sound mix, which would sound a bit unusual.

I'm not sure if this helped you or not Daryl, there isn't a cut and dry answer to this one, I'm sorry to say.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks