What's new

about to buy tv for DVD and Gaming, need help (1 Viewer)

Hi, I been looking to this forum for about a year and had found very good info that helped me build my home theater. The audio part is now completed, I am now looking to upgrade my old 27 Inch Sony trinitron,The TV will receive signal from the following:

-DVD Marantz 6200, 3/2pull down, progressive, via component

-Gamecube, progressive via component

-Ps2, S-video

I have seen the 30' 16/9 HDTV from Samsung and I was not really impress... I have seen the 34HF81C from toshiba, the picture seems better and because of the underneat speakers, I can fit were the old TV was. The Panasonic 30' 16/9 HDTV(ct-30wx52) was also good looking but it was the price of the 34' Toshiba????

SAMSUNG 1400$, TOSHIBA 2200$ PANASONIC(DEMO) 2000$

I have made a search about the toshiba but the comments seems to be old a bit, does this TV is still up to date???

Can it display a 480p signal with high quality??? (techsheets says 1080i/540p)
How about 480i ???

The TV will be used for a lot of gaming, lots of DVD shows, movies, and lastly, for my girlfriend to watch the news at 11:00.... :D

Thanks for helping me, I live in CANADA and I speak french, sorry for my bad english....

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Eric, Personally I would go with a 36" Toshiba it will cost you about the same as the 34" as far as video games go I have noticed that a large number of games when in widescreen actually crop the top and dont add more tot he sides. as well for dvd watching the toshiba 36HFX models all ahve the enhanced widescreen, so you are getting the same picture you would on a 34" widescreen, you actually lose .9" diagonally witht he 36" as opposed to the 34" when watching anything in widescreen, but when watching a 4:3 image you get about 7" more diagonally on the 36" tv.

I use my 36hfx71 mostly for dvd's and gaming and I could not be happier.

Thanks John,

Your have a point about the 16/9 format in a 4/3, but if i make a ratio about the most format I will use, widescreen is on top. All the hot game for the gamecube are progressive, most of them switch to 16/9 when you boot your cube to pregressive...

Does your model of TV support 480P or it convert it to 540P?

Everyone, comments will be apreciated!!!
:emoji_thumbsup:

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Eric, no my tv does not upconvert, i believe it is only the toshiba RPTV's that do this.

honestly i like widescreen, but i refuse to pay a premium for it, a 36" is essentially the same as a 34" for widescreen, well .9" difference, but offers much more 4:3 area. if the 34" cost the same as a 32" is say get the 34" cause it would offer more widescreen but slightly less 4:3 go with what offers the most. why throw away 7" on 4:3 material for .9" on 16:9 material?

just as i would make the same argument in reverse for a 32" vs a 34"

Come one?????

Dont tell me there's only 1 guy from this forum that can give me info about the Thosiba Models????????????:frowning:

It MUST have someone here with the toshiba 34hf81 or 34hdx82

that can give me Info....

Anyone using it for gaming?????

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks