What's new

About to buy the LG OLED 77 C1 (1 Viewer)

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
That ^ is correct. Sorry I did not think of that. Johnny please let us know if you have ISF Expert Bright and ISF Expert Dark with you cable box connected to your C1.

JWC1969

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
The ISF settings apply to SDR content. You must be passing an HDR signal, which will default the picture modes to HDR10 or Dolby Vision specific. Try passing a SDR signal. That should allow you to access the ISF picture modes.
FWIW for HDR10 I like the Cinema mode and for Dolby Vision same thing. Just make sure to turn off the motion Settings if it’s allowable

JWC1969

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
So when you're playing 4K/UHD discs there is no such settings if your 4K player is directly connected to your C1?
Correct. No ISF settings for HDR content. Here's the deal: When the TV detects a true HDR10 or Dolby Vision signal from a source like Netflix or Prime or Hulu, etc., etc., or your 4K UHD HDR blu-ray player (and note those things don't have to be plugged directly into the TV, they can come from an AVR too), it defaults to special settings for HDR10 and DV respectively that maintain a certain tone mapping algorithm for the HDR content. (Which is why it's imperative, in HDR, not to futz with the basics, such as OLED light, contrast, color, etc. because they're set the way they are by LG for tone mapping purposes. You mess with that you mess with the tone mapping algorithm.) That said, within HDR10 and DV, one can change the overall picture mode. For example, HDR10 may offer Vivid, Standard, Cinema, etc. Same with DV. I prefer Cinema for each because it tracks closer to a calibrated setting. However, some people think it's too dark. You'll need to experiment. However, no matter which you choose, I humbly suggest trying to turn off the motion settings. As in frame interpolation.

An aside: watching SDR content, there IS an HDR picture mode one can choose. (Just like one can choose ISF Dark/Bright). Never use this. (The HDR setting in SDR, that is.) It's just DSP trying to mimic an HDR picture. It's not true HDR because there's no HDR metadata. Think of it like this: would you rather listen to music in stereo as intended or set your AVR to something like Concert Hall. It's just crummy fakery. Hope this helps.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
An aside: watching SDR content, there IS an HDR picture mode one can choose. (Just like one can choose ISF Dark/Bright). Never use this. (The HDR setting in SDR, that is.) It's just DSP trying to mimic an HDR picture. It's not true HDR because there's no HDR metadata. Think of it like this: would you rather listen to music in stereo as intended or set your AVR to something like Concert Hall. It's just crummy fakery. Hope this helps.
Yeah, I went through that phase with my OLED65E6P. I stopped after a few months of doing that for the reason you stated.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't think the isf settings exist for HDR content (whether through a player or the TV apps) on my C9 either (?)
Right, I ask questions to experts that I already know the answer to because they can explain it much better than I can as I have an OLED55C9PUA. It gives knowledge to those contemplating purchasing a LG OLED or even a Sony one for that matter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I went through that phase with my OLED65E6P. I stopped after a few months of doing that for the reason you stated.
I am thinking about replacing my OLED65E6P that I purchased from Value Electronics with an 83" model. It's still going strong, but that will mean I'll have to give up 3-D in my main HT which means I have to move my 65E6P to another HT in my condo because it offers the best 3-D presentation I have among my three 3-D displays with two of them being Panasonic and Samsung plasmas. A projector isn't an option for me.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Right, I ask questions to experts that I already know the answer to because they can explain it much better than I can as I have an OLED55C9PUA. It gives knowledge to those contemplating purchasing a LG OLED or even a Sony one for that matter.
I ask questions because I don’t know the answer. :lol:

I’ve done my first major calibration, I removed the protective clear plastic cover. :thumbs-up-smiley:

There is an option to copy settings to all inputs. I need to understand better what is an input. Does that mean the separate hdmi inputs on the tv or does is mean the type of video signal being sent, liked SDR, HDR? If the latter and I’m receiving SDR (yes, I found the 2 expert settings) and I use one of the expert settings and then do the copy to all inputs, do the settings get copied to the HDR settings?

Continuing with my assuming inputs are SDR, HDR, how many inputs are there?

Just watched Monster Hunter. A fun popcorn flick and wow, does it look great on the LG! I think I got all the motion smoothing crap turned off. When on, it makes a movie look like a video.

BTW, does this tv have a info screen that displays things like format of incoming video?

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I ask questions because I don’t know the answer. :lol:

I’ve done my first major calibration, I removed the protective clear plastic cover. :thumbs-up-smiley:

There is an option to copy settings to all inputs. I need to understand better what is an input. Does that mean the separate hdmi inputs on the tv or does is mean the type of video signal being sent, liked SDR, HDR? If the latter and I’m receiving SDR (yes, I found the 2 expert settings) and I use one of the expert settings and then do the copy to all inputs, do the settings get copied to the HDR settings?

Continuing with my assuming inputs are SDR, HDR, how many inputs are there?

Just watched Monster Hunter. A fun popcorn flick and wow, does it look great on the LG! I think I got all the motion smoothing crap turned off. When on, it makes a movie look like a video.
It means the separate tv hdmi inputs.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I called LG Tech Support to ask some questions. After a half hour on hold, I hung up. Then I clicked on their website link for the LG Community. That result told me to go to Facebook as the “Community” had been moved there.

So there’s a FB support page. It’s not a community forum. I began reading it. Had I done this before buying it would have given me pause for thought. I realize a page like this tends to select people who are unhappy with their product, but was very, very little positive stuff here. It could be summed by “lousy customer service” and “no product support.” In the case of appliances it can take excessive time to get them fixed.

When you ask a question they reply and say send us a private message. My reply had to examined thoroughly to divine the meaning. One nice thing I learned was a way to display exactly what signal is being sent to the tv.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
When there’s no input to the tv is displays an absolutely beautiful screensaver. Mostly classic painting, appropriately framed, and a few photos. I’m mesmerized watching it.

Ashly Yeo

Stunt Coordinator
Congratulations Johnny!! I too have the LG UH8500 and love it especially for watching 3D (passive glasses are a great hit with grandkids). Also been thinking about getting the C1 OLED 83 for when prices come down a bit more but it seems like the 77 at under $3k is a great deal right now.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’ve done a bit of tweaking here and there and then I threw a 130 mph curve ball at the TV, I put on “Pitch Black”. If you’ve seen the movie you know how varied the challenges are. Bright, bright, bright and Dark, dark, dark. With scenes falling in between.

When I watched this movie with a blu ray on my old LG LED, it was fine. However it had problems with the 4K disc with a lot blooming blue in dark scenes which I couldn’t get rid of. But this C1, it was probably the theater when I last saw it looking this good. The bright scenes out in the desert (is that one s or two?) are fantastic. Dark scenes I’m seeing more detail then ever.

We’ve put the 8500 in the master so I can kick my wife out to watch 3D. Of course I won’t my HT speakers then. Ya know, on second thoughts, kicking my wife out of the master may not be such a bright idea.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bolorkay
Recent bookmarks