About to buy my first HDTV, need a little help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Hoogs, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Andrew Hoogs

Andrew Hoogs Extra

Ok within the next few weeks im going to purchase the Toshiba 42H82. This is perfect for me because I still live at home and have a small bedroom, so the 42" isnt that big. But I have a few questions and would appreciate any feedback.

My first question is Xbox related, this set says it does 720p.....is that true 720p? Or does it convert the signal? And if it converts the signal is that really all that bad? Will it still look alot better than 480p?

And my second question is.......the best deal I found on this TV is at onecall.com the only thing im worried about is an extended warranty...I would like to get one but know nothing about onecalls service. Also do you guys think Best Buy would match that price? Or do you think onecall has a good warranty as well. Thanks so much for your time.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Andrew,
    That set won't display 720p natively, but will convert it probably to 1080i.
    Should look very good indeed.

I would not buy an rptv on the net. If any problems develope you can't return it, only rely on local Toshiba authorized service.

Better to spend a bit more and get it from a local store with a 30 day return policy.

3. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Actually, if you have to use One Call's extended warranty, you contact them, and they will still have a local authorized technician come out to your house. I bought my Toshiba 50h82 from One Call and the Extended Warranty. i asked them about it, and I was told you use the extended warranty just like you use the Manufacture's Warranty.

-Dean-

4. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I had a good experience with OneCall and a bad one with the local Best Buy. But, you never know what'll happen.

And no, Best Buy won't match prices with OneCall.

Jan

5. Barry A

Barry A Extra

Best Buy won't...but Sears might. They have a web match policy.

6. Andrew Hoogs

Andrew Hoogs Extra

Thanks guys I really appreciate it [​IMG]