About to buy Denon 3801 am I doing the right things and best place to buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Mar 13, 2002.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I plan on buying a Denon 3801 since it can be had for a lot cheaper than the 3802 and I was planing on ordering one from 6th Ave. on Friday. Since this is a lot of money for me right now, I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing. Here are some things you should know:

My current speakers are as follows: Paradigm Monitor 11's x 2, Mini Monitor x 4, CC-370 x 1

I may be upgrading to these speakers in October: Paradigm Reference Studio 100 x 2, Studio 20 x 4, Studio CC

I then may add a 2 channel amp for the Studio 100's.

In a couple of years I will upgrade my sub to two SVS 20-39+ subs.

My listening habits are about 75% 2 channel music and about 25% movies.

As far as the 3801 is concerned I am looking for accurate movie sound reproduction. I really hope that the 3801 shines with Dolby Digital EX encoded material.

Also I want the 3801 to be able to use all 7 speakers with stereo music without adding some sort of reverb. So am I doing the right thing in buying the 3801?

Also does anybody know where the best and the cheapest place to get the 3801 is?

Thanks for the info!

james

2. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

I have the 3801 with the a Paradigm Reference setup, Studio 20's for front mains at the moment (will replace with 40's soon). First off, let me say that the 3801 is the functional equivalent of the 3802 without PL2. A few people have said they could hear a difference, but I have not heard a difference demoing the 2 if the same listening room with the same speakers. So any comments you read about the 3802 are largely applicable to the 3801.

As far as "accurate" movie sound reproduction, I can only say that the 3801 does a noticeably better job than my Sony "DE" series receiver. And power is more than adequate. In fact, it feels like there is plenty in reserve.

Right now I only have a 5 channel system but I can say that it performs very well in 5-channel stereo. It does not seem to add reverberation or any other sonic artifacts. I have in fact grudgingly been won over by listening to 5-channel stereo in preference to 2-channel since acquiring the 3801.

One caveat about this unit besides the usual criticism about the non-intuitive nature of the remote and interface -it gets very hot. Make sure to avoid putting it in a TV cabinet or similar enclosure, and also make sure there is at least 4" of vertical space above it in your component rack.

Otherwise, you cannot beat the 3801 for feature/price ratio at the moment. It is least expensive receiver with a 7-channel amp out there. Enjoy.

3. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Eric, thanks for the input! You have been consistently been giving me good information on my questions and I really appreciate that. Thanks!

james