About to buy a PS2... have a question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Sanchez, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

Like the title says, I'm going to be buying a PS2 probably today and I just have one question.

Do I need to get an optical cable? How many games, if any, have 5.1 sound? If all that connection is really for is movies, I don't need it since I have a stand alone DVD player. But if a good amount of games use 5.1 sound, guess I will need to buy a Toslink.

I'm going to be buying Metal Gear Solid 2 and maybe Final Fantasy x. Do either of them have 5.1?

2. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I believe both games have DD in cut scenes, not in actual gameplay. However, I would recommend getting the optical cable for the PS2 at least to enjoy the cut scenes. Some games like SSX Tricky support in games DTS which sounds pretty good on my system. Hopefully there will be more games to come with in game DTS/DD.
    -Andre F

3. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

If you are getting Metal Gear Solid 2, I would get the optical cable as well. The DD 5.1 in the few cut scenes that have it is fantastic.

-Dean-

4. James St

James St Supporting Actor

There are only a handful of games that have 5.1 but I would get the toslink anyway. The DAC's in your receiver are most likely better then the ones in the PS2.

5. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Adam,

You can buy either s-video or component PS2 cables that come bundled with an optical audio cable, just be sure you don't pay more than $30 for such a bundle. MonsterCables (and I have no idea how they are viewed on this forum) go for over $80 and it strikes me as a rip-off.

The on-the-fly DTS in games like Tricky and Sled Storm (both from EA Sports) lack a center channel, so you're actually getting 4.1 audio, but it's neat and it sounds pretty good.

However, most of the surround sound you get from your PS2 will be from utilizing Dolby Pro-Logic Audio on your receiver from what would ordinarily be 2.0 Stereo. Games like Rez sound utterly amazing, almost like 5.1.

Joseph

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I wondered if they made a cable with an s-video and optical audio together. where can I get one? So far I have seen the s-video and analog audio bundle, and the component video and analog audio bundle but have not seen the s-vid or component + optical audio. Where can I get it and how much is it?

7. Steven Sims

Steven Sims Stunt Coordinator

I don't think you can get the optical cable bundled with video. The optical uses a seperate output from the normal a/v output.

8. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

or if your receiver supports DPL II, it's a non-issue.

9. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

10. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

speaking of in-game DTS for PS2, i remember hearing a while back that Madden 2003 will also support this feature. Can anyone else confirm this? I know the NHL series are DTS, and it only makes sense to take Madden to that next level too.

Thanks for any info!

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Final Fantasy X doesn't have DD5.1 in its cutscenes. The Japanese version did, but the American one doesn't.

12. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Joseph,
    While the games you mentioned are 4.1 DTS, NHL 2002 is true 5.1 DTS sound in game, and has the announcing coming from the center channel. It actually sounds quite amazing.

13. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

If you've ever played FFX, then you know that the prerendered CG cutscenes just start playing during the game and that there is no loading time. Because of how there is no loading time between the real-time game and the CG scenes, they couldn't do DD5.1 in the actual game. There is a town in FFX where you can buy the cinemas from the game and watch them over and over, and that is where the DD5.1 was going to be used. Instead, they cut it out of the American version for god-knows-why.