About to build Tempest SonoSub - need a few answers/tips

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Dr, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Mike Dr

Mike Dr Stunt Coordinator

Ok .. I ordered a Tempest, a PE 250W amp (the one with the remote) and 4" dual flared port kit. The design I want to go with is something like the one mentione here:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...pest+enclosure
    It seems the tube I'm gonna use is 20" (cause that's the only one i can find for sale around here [​IMG])
    If I'm correct, for a 175L enclosure, the tube is going to be around 36-40" high which is acceptable for me.
    Here are some questions - I want loud punchy response to slightly below 20hz .. maybe 17hz or so. I have a BFD so peaks are not to much of an issue.
    Is an enclosure of 175l enough for this? What are the limitations of such an enclosure? any other tips?
    I also ordered a can of that sound deadening spray. I intend to coat the inside of the tube with it.. is tehre any value in applying it to the port or will this have negative effects (common sense kinda tells me u dont wanna absorb sound from a big hole from which it comes [​IMG])
    thanks

2. Mike Dr

Mike Dr Stunt Coordinator

comon guys... anyone?

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

I put sound damping spray in the inner walls of my sonotube and wished I hadn't. Gave off strong fumes that might not be good for the driver surround. As far as the inside of the port, I think it would be better to leave it as smooth as possible because you want laminar flow and the rough surface may be a nidus for turbulence. The outside surface of the port is not going to be a significant reflector of sound so no point in spraying that.