What's new

? about the # of editions, and quality of the transfer on 'THE ARRIVAL' dvd. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I was thinking of picking this up in a couple weeks, it's a great film, the thinking man's 'ID 4'. But am not sure about this dvd, how many different versions are available, and how's the transfer, anamorphic I hope? I know that their is a dvd with both the original film and AND that crap sequel available on the same disc.

Is their an edition of the original film only?

Thanks.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Right now the only disc in print (I think) is the one with The Arrival AND The Arrival 2. There was a disc that only had the original film, but I think it may be out of print. It should be fairly easy to find a copy if you desire.

BUT, I have not actually seen the discs so I don't know about quality, etc.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The original release of The Arrival went out of print in '99. The re-release includes The Arrival and The Arrival 2 on opposite sides of the same disc.

The transfer on the new DVD is exactly the same as the original release and of fair to middling quality. Unfortunately, it's not anamorphically enhanced. The soundtrack is Dolby Digital 5.1, and quite good.

I haven't seen The Arrival 2, so can't comment on its presentation.

Adam

David Ruiz

Second Unit
I have the DVD in question, and like was said before, both movies are:

They are both 1.85:1 (NOT Anamorphic)

There is one movie on Side 1 & the other on Side 2.

Part 1, looks pretty good (for being non-anamorhpic)...I would say about 7 out of 10.

Second movie, is a tiny bit better around 8 out of 10.

Let me be the first to say, that I absolutely LOVED the second movie! I think it's just as good as the first, if not better. I just LOVE Patrick Muldoon & Jane Sibbet (sp) in this movie. I think that their acting is what made the film so enjoyable, and this has become one of my favourite movies to watch on a hot summer day, when there is nothing better to do than to sit back and watch a really exciting movie.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
John, with the ammount of play time The Arrival has been getting on TV during the past week, is that what caused you to think about the DVD? I hadn't seen the movie in a while, and caught it on early last week, and it reminded me to purchase the disc. Too bad it's not anamorphic.

Ash Williams

Second Unit
I have the double sided disc and as far as quality goes I would give the disc about a 6.5/10. I wish they would have just scraped the second movie and filled the other side with extras. I wasn't even able to watch it all, it is that bad. But what can you expect from a direct to video release? I say buy it, I think it can be had for about 10 bucks.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
The current double feature is not bad. I decided to pick this one up because Walmart was selling it for under $10. I figured, for that price, what the heck.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
The laser box set had the alternate ending, outtakes, etc.
I wish they had put those goodies on the DVD...maybe next time! :D

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
yeah, with all the bonus materials ready and done for the LD Box Specail Edition, Im surprised that none of this was ported over to a DVD SE. (was it 2 or 3 discs?)
Anyway, after 3 editions of STARGATE (5, if you count the LDs) maybe THE ARRIVAL has another chance to be done right. After all, it is ARTISAN...
never was able to sit thru the sequel.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Kyle, yep, you caught me. ;) I watched it twice on it's run on HBO this month, plus I had the LD at one time and really loved it.
So, is it safe to assume that this is an old LD transfer on this dvd?
It sucks that it's not anamorphic, but i'll probably pick it up anyway, thanks for all your help guys. :)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
THE ARRIVAL original release is a 115-minute cut of the film, though I believe the theatrical cut was 109 minutes. How long is the movie on the double-feature disc?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks