What's new

About the Carlotta's portrait in Vertigo (1 Viewer)

Marc-Emmanuel

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc-Emmanuel Mélon
Dear Mr Harris,

I'am a belgian film historian and I'm working about some aspects of Vertigo, especially about the european sources of the film and its relationship with the arts. Having consult the Hitchcock's papers at the Margaret Herrick Library, I learned there was two versions of the Carlotta's portrait. The first was painted in Italy by a painter named Manlio Sarra, who received somes photos of a young girl posing for the portrait, and another of Vera Miles with the bun she should have borne in the film. Two ektachromes of the achieved painting had been sent to Coleman before the shipping of the portrait to Hollywood, in the aim it could be accepted by Hitchcock. I don't know what Hitch thought about this painting but it had been shipped in February 1957. I don't know why this first portrait had been given up at the end and why another had been ordered to another artist. According Dan Auiler and other critics, the second portrait had been painted by John Ferren but anybody can't prove it and I didn't find any archives about this fact.
I learned too that you are now the owner of the first version of the portrait. That's why I would like to ask you some questions about this problem :
1. Have you other informations about Manlio Sarra ?
2. Do you know why the first portrait hadn't been used for the film ?
3. Do you know where are the photos sent to Sarra ? Are they conserved somewhere ?
4. Can you confirm that the second portrait had been painted by Ferren ? Have you some informations about that ? Do you know where is this painting now ?
5. Is it possible to get a reproduction of the first portrait ? Do you agree I reproduce it in the book I'm writting at this moment ?
I apologize for the mistakes of language. My english is not very good.
Thank you for your attention to this message and your help. And congratulations for your wonderful restoration of Vertigo.
Best regards,

Marc-Emmanuel Mélon,
University of Liège (Belgium)
[email protected]

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I know very little about the portraits other than there were multiples.

I do not now own, nor have I ever owned any of them. During the restoration, the Paramount Archive was
kind enough to loan us the portrait depicting Vera Miles as Carlotta. This had a place of honor on our wall
at Universal during the restoration period, and thereafter was returned to Paramount.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

RAH

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
I do know that the Barbara Bel Geddes as Carlotta original painting was part of an auction years ago at Collector's Bookshop in Hollywood, because someone I know bid on it (didn't win, though).

Marc-Emmanuel

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc-Emmanuel Mélon
Thank you for your answer, Mr Harris. I'm going to try to get more informations at the Paramount Archive.
MEM.

FSarra

Auditioning
Real Name
FSarra
Dear Mr. Melon I reply with considerable delay to your e-mail, also because I heard about the site Internet "Home Theater" by chance. My name is Francesco Sarra and I am the son of the painter Manlio Sarra, im the supervisor and the bio makers of Manlio Sarra. Let me answer some questions you ask about the work "Portrait of Carlotta" for the Film Paramount "Vertigo." Manlio Sarra (1909 - 1986) was a protagonist of the current avant-garde painting Italian second 900. Also known abroad, especially in North America, Taught painting at "L'Accademia di Belle Arti in Rome," and after having attended the Venice Biennale in 1956 in the painting section, had a great reputation having won the First Prize in painting organized by the Artistic And the international film company "Titanus" for a work inspired by the movie "Il Tetto" Italian director Vittorio De Sica, entitled "L'attesa". Being one excellent and researched portrait painter, created on commission, some portraits of actresses, actors of cinema and television, politicians and personalities. Precisely for this recognized ability and reputation in 1957, he was commissioned work"Portrait of Carlotta" from "Paramount Film" for the film Vertigo. The work, seen in the film is perfectly in line with the canons of art and technical skill of the Master Manlio Sarra. The picture was sent to the United States in Hollywood for the film was accepted by the staff artistic production after approval and acceptance by Alfred Hitchcock, The Head Office Production in Italy of "Paramount Luigi Zaccardi, was a link with the direction of Hollywood. As for any other news, you can find on all search engines international Internet presence, you can also consult the book "The Wrong House: The Architecture of Alfred Hitchcock "by Steven Jacobs (note 39 - p.58) Artistic and historical information about M° Manlio Sarra you can find on site http://www.manliosarra.8m.com/ or typing Manlio Sarra name.

josephbrown121

Auditioning
Real Name
joseph brown
@ BillyFeldman

ome of my friend also went to auction at Collector's Bookshop in Hollywood, he told me the bid for Carlotta original painting was far beyond his reach. This only shows its popularity and its craze among people

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks