About the 963 Phillips

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris Elm, May 25, 2003.

1. Chris Elm

Chris Elm Stunt Coordinator

I'm intrigued by this whole upsampling thing, since I will do about 60% Music (redbook cds)/40% Home Theater.

Just a few questions:
    First of all, will the upsampling only work on an analog output into my 45tx?
    Will the upsampling improve quality on cd-rs (burned cds)?
    What exactly do the firmware upgrades 'correct'? (lip sync issues, angle icon, etc.), and are all the new ones shipping with this update.
    I had my heart set on an ELITE 45A, but now I think this will be the better choice.
    Thanks for your time.

2. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

The DAC is the part of the player that does the upsampeling, so unless you get an upsampeling external DAC, your missing out on the best part of the Philips. Also, the Philips upsamples to 192khz/24-bit (2 channel redbook only), so music will be +++++

Upsampeling should work find on CD-Rs.

I don't know exactly what the firmware upgrades do. You might want to ask over at head-fi.com. Almost everyone over there is a 963 groupie.

The SACD on the ELITE, from what I've heard, is good, but the 963 blows it away in Redbook (cause of the upsampling) and in DVD (picture and sound quality, provided you use the internal DAC).

1 more comment, either the Pioneer or the Philips will do find if you plan on using an external DAC, but unless that DAC has upsampling, I would recomend strongly to get the 963 and use it's DAC.

3. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

I recently got a 963 and am quite pleased with it. Non-progressive picture quality is better than any player I've ever used before, and I've put several to use. The level of detail and depth to the image on well-done transfers is often amazing. I've been very pleased with SACD playback. Upsampling does add a noticable improvement to some recordings, but not quite as much with others. Still, redbook playback is excellent.

As far as I know, the current players shipping have the latest firmware. The "angle icon" issue, according to some reports, will not be corrected and was part of the player design (sounds odd, but that's what I've read). I've had no lip-sync issues, but I have had one or two titles skip. The menus and remote - at least in my opinion - take a bit of getting used to.

Other than that, I've been very pleased.

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    IIRC, the upsampling is actually done in the digital domain BEFORE the DAC. So you should be able to output upsampled CD audio digitally to a decoder/receiver. You just need your decoder/receiver to be able to handle the upsampled PCM signal whether 96Khz or 192Khz. But if you have an old decoder/receiver, the player's DAC might be preferable anyway.

So has anyone had the opp to compare it to a Sony ES SACD player like the C222ES changer?

_Man_

6. Chris Elm

THanks for the replies everyone!
    So you are saying that when hooked up to my Pioneer Elite 45tx, I can use either a digital or analog connection?
    Very interesting.
    Thanks alot.
    BTW: great news that it has the same affect on cd-r material!

7. Chris Elm

Also, where is the best place to aquire one of these?

8. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Haven't done mail-order w/ J&R (www.jandr.com) myself, but they seem to offer a pretty good return policy for mail-order w/ 30-day return. And their price is better than most for this player at $400. I will probably buy mine (or something else) from J&R locally myself. I believe www.etronics.com also has the same price and return policy and is also located in downtown Manhattan, so that's another alternative for mail-order.

But I strongly encourage anybody to get this player locally to minimize any hassle if/when a return is needed given the QC history so far.

_Man_

PS: Since comments comparing the 963sa to the Sony ES players (C222ES in particular) and other comparably priced DVD/SACD players seem non-existent, I guess I'll just have to try to get a simple comparative audition at J&R. They apparently have both players in their Sony ES room, but not very well set up, if at all, and w/ less than ideal speakers it seems -- some slim profile floorstanding Polk Audio's and JBL's, IIRC.

Any suggestions for reference quality 2-channel SACDs for the demo? I have a handful on order from Amazon and Tower Records, but not sure when my copy of DSOTM will arrive (w/ Amazon's free shipping). I guess Carlos Kleiber's Beethoven 5th will be one [​IMG] and maybe Szell's Beethoven 3rd. Maybe Time Out from the Dave Brubeck Qt and the Spanish Harlem track on Rebecca Pidgeon's The Raven?

9. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    OneCall is matching the shipped price of J&R.