About the 3802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Kass, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Jason Kass

Jason Kass Agent

Hi,
    It is interesting that when I was waiting for a 950 there were posts all about the 950 and since I have no idea when my name will come up I have chosen an alternate route to nirvana. Since the Rotel 1066 is also hard to get and $600 more (quite a bit) I have been doing some reasearch. I notice the Denon 3802 is popping up everywhere on the forum so I think this is the way to go with an additional amp or two I think I would be hard pressed to justify an upgrade to the 950.
    My questions: In the zone two, can someone in the other room be listening to a cd and zone one be watching DVD surround sound?
    Also, does it have incremental adjustment (ie .5 foot)for the speaker adjustments?
    Also, does anyone use a Pronto 2000 on the 3802 and does it have it already encoded?
    Thanks,
    Jason

2. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

The speaker adjustments increment by 1' and the max is 15' IIRC.

Can't answer the other questions...

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Jason: Incremental delay adjustments are available when using "Meters" instead of "Feet". "Meters" can be adjusted in tenths, which translates to approx. every 4 inches or so.

As for Zone 2, I've never used it. I fairly sure that you can do what you want. The only thing I don't know is whether you are limited to 5.1 sound in the main room or whether you can go to full 7.1 at the same time as Zone 2 playback. (It may depend on whether you are using the 3802's amps for Zone 2 or using the pre-amp outputs into a separate Zone 2 amp.)

As for the Pronto, I'm sure that there are setups easily available. I don't like touchscreens so I'm running a Home Theater Master MX-700 with mine.

4. ricky ho

ricky ho Stunt Coordinator

"My questions: In the zone two, can someone in the other room be listening to a cd and zone one be watching DVD surround sound?"
    this is taken from page 11 of the avr-3802 manual.
    " if another pre-main (integrated) amplifier is connected, the mutli-source jacks can be used to play a different program in another room at the same time.

5. Matt AFA

Matt AFA Extra

All of the above is true, but you need to have analog outs for the multiroom equipment-even if you have digital ones for the same device. For example, I have my DVD player hooked up with a digital coax, but I needed to have analog outs from the DVD player going into some receiver input to play a DVD or CD from that player. In my case I put it into the CD input. This way, I can keep my DVDs playing in DPLII and my music, when I want it, in 5-channel stereo.

You can use a Pronto 2000 to access all these codes. There are discrete codes for practically everything on this receiver. There is discrete multizone source select and volume control. You can fix the volume to be fixed or variable, depending on if you use external amps and volume controls(for multiple rooms).

6. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

Jason, the 3802 manual is available online:
    Here it is in pdf format
    It's not the best translation I've seen, but it should answer all of your questions.

7. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Hi Guys,

Is there any way to route an analog signal (stereo) to just the surround B speakers and run them in another room? I have a 6.1 setup so I'm using the multi zone already.

Thanks,
    Aaron