? about satellite receivers

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tim Gut, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Tim Gut

Tim Gut Auditioning

I'm looking for a SAT Recvr for DirecTV that is digital, has Tivo and High definition capabilities. Does such a thing exist? If so, where can I find one? If not, what are my options? Thank you in advance.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

It does not exist today. Devices like this are expected towards the end of the year.

The issue is HD & Tivo together.

If you want HD today, the options are ~$400–$500 HD receivers that are no longer manufactured (maybe get one for less) or ~$600–$800 newer HD receivers. You can time-shift via S-VHS, VHS or a PVR, but SD by connecting the S-Video output (or composite output) to one of these devices. Some of these receivers will not output component and S-Video/composite at the same time, so you have to switch to a SD output only to record. Get the HD Tivo when it is available.

If you want Tvio today (and can wait on HD), get the Tivo/DirecTV device. Get the HD Tivo when it is available.

Or you can just wait.

I chose to go with an HD receiver for one TV and a SD receiver for the other. I time-shift using S-VHS (about $200 will get you a deck). When the HD-PVRs hit the market (and my price point) I’ll move my current HD receiver to my bedroom set and upgrade the family room to a HE-PVR device.