What's new

? about running coax from dish......... (1 Viewer)

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking about upgrading to the UltimateTV receiver. I already have a dual output dish, one line to the HT/LR and the other to the BR. But, to get maximum use(record 2 channels at once) of the UltimateTV receiver, I'll need to get a splitter that turns the dual output into 4 and run two lines into the HT.
To do this I'd like to install a coax wall plate in the HT, running the coax from the dish into this plate, then connecting the receiver to the plate for a more finished look. Can this be done? I know that the coax line from the dish cannot be split before it gets to the dish, so would this harm my signal?
Kevin

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
No, it shouldn't. I have that set up, and it's been just great. It sounds like your current setup has the cable running from the dish directly to the receiver. If this is so, you might want to check your local electrical codes, as your cable lines are supposed to be grounded before they enter the house.
Glenn

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
Glenn, although I didn't state it, I do have the coax grounded before going inside.
How do you like the UltimateTV? Has it performed as expected?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
No, I don't have that. I have a dual dish, though. I saw the ad for ultimate and I'm going to pass. I wasn't sure, but for me, taping two programs at the same time happens quite a lot, as I have a lot of time on my hands. What they didn't say was if you could tape two programs while watching a third. (Sorry, I'm just too picky). Also, if you watch a show later, and then decide to tape it, can you?
I also didn't like the wireless keyboard and access to the net. I already have that, and since Micro$oft is behind this, I know that BG has other agenda.
As for your hookup, you'd have one line from the dish to the grounding block, a second from the block to inside and your wall plate, and a 3rd to your receiver. For those with new setups, you could have the dish in the back of your house and with TV in front, the first 2 lines would be nearly the same length. Other systems could have the 2nd line at about 2 feet - and if you drill a new hole, it is easier to make your own cables. Hope this helps.
Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks