? about required HDD space for simpe DVD reauthoring and commercial editing

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Matthew_V, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Matthew_V

Matthew_V Stunt Coordinator

Mar 26, 2003
    My family recently bought a standalone DVD recorder that can record to
    DVD-R, DVD-RW, and DVD-RAM.
    What I was thinking is that with a PC DVD recorder, I could take the DVD that I recorded with the standalone unit, and then
    a) edit out stuff like commercials from the DVD-RW, add chapters, etc.
    Simple stuff. And then burn that to a DVD-R using the PC DVD recorder
    b) reauthor content (recorded in the -VR format on the DVD-RAM) to the -Video format for recording onto DVD-R's. I've been reading through the posts at videhelp.com and avsforum.com regarding this, and it sounds straight-forward.

So, for right now, the stuff I would be planning to use a PC DVD recorder for would be pretty basic.
    What I don't know is how much hard drive space something like this will require. I was assuming that it wouldn't be much larger than the capacity of a DVD (i.e. doing the type of stuff I outlined for, say, a full DVD that I created on my standalone DVD recorder wouldn't require more than 5 or 6 GB of hard drive space, would it ?).

The computer that I would be doing this on would be a laptop that I will be ordering soon with an 80GB hard drive, 1.8Ghz Pentium M Dothan, 512 MB RAM.

And the PC DVD burner that I have my eye on is the external version of the Pioneer DVR-A07XLA -- the DVR-S706.

The thing that had made me uncertain about whether what I will have will be sufficient is that there is an article (page 139) in the September 2004 issue of "Computer Shopper" magazine that says
    Thank you in advance for your help
  2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Dec 17, 2003
    If I were you I'd go ahead and get that laptop with the 80GB HD or save some money with a 40 or 60GB drive. Then buy an external HD (either firewire or USB2.0). I say this for a few reasons. First, a laptop HD spins slowly . . . usually 4200rpm or 5400rpm whereas a typical desktop drive spins at 7200rpm. This can make a big difference in editing (particularly if you get a 4200rpm drive). Secondly, it's nice to have a separate drive for video. It's nice not to have it crowding your other stuff or fragmenting up your drive all the time. I'd go with a 40 or 60GB HD in the notebook and get a 120GB+ external drive (I prefer firewire with the Oxford911 chip in it).