About ready to pull my hair out (mp3 encoding)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles J P, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    OK, I have an AudioTron, so I am undertaking a massive projet to convert all my CDs to VBR mp3s. I started this project a while ago and have since gotten a new computer. (Windows XP, AMD 1600+ XP processor, 1GB SDRAM, ECS motherboard) Now, I had no problems before, but now I cannot get Lame to work on my computer. Lame is a free, command line MP3 encoder with lots of options, and works with lots of programs and front-ends. In the past, I was using a front end called Razor Lame that worked well. Now, I cannot encode a single MP3 file. It starts out fine, and then as it gets to the end of each wav file, it spits out an error message, but the program doesnt crash at first. If I let it keep going, it will usually eventually crash, or stop encoding, but it will usually write the first 2-4 mp3s before it crashes. If I play the MP3s, they work, but at the end, they usually cut off a little, and the track time is not right in winamp. ie the song ends before the time is up. Any ideas? I have no idea why this isnt working.

Oh, PS, I also have audio grabber, which has a dll-ized version of lame, and it crashes while encoding too. I can encode with BladeEnc fine, but I want to do VBR files and blade doesnt allow that.

2. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Well, in case anyone cares, or is having the same problem, my installation of AudioGrabber was currupt. Uninstalled it and deleted the files, and everything works fine. It must be because AG comes with Lame as well, it was screwing up the command line version of lame too.

Thanks

3. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Charles, I use LAMEr as a frontend for LAME. Lame always (every time) report back that "Encoding Failed." I have no idea why, and the MP3s come out perfect.

Give LAMEr a try... if it reports this error back, just make sure that you dont click on "Remove Partially Encoded Files."

4. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I've always used Exact Audio Copy as my front end, it lets you config it to use any encoder you want, but I use lame. I've never had a problem.

5. Charles J P

CJ Paul

6. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

7. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Thanks I'll check it out. Now, if my suspicion is correct, I think my installation of audio grabber is corrupt. I can uninstall it again and musicmatch jukebox, but I want to remove all traces from my system. Can I delete the registry entries for these programs (ie HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> Software >> AudioGrabber, etc)? I will backup my registry first of course.

8. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

yes, i wholeheartedly agree....

9. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    OK, I think I have everything sorted out, although I'm out of town this week on business and I will have to check it out when I get home. I think why Lame is crashing is because I deleted all the supporting files when I backed up and restored my computer. You know, cleaning house, etc. So it would run, but then crash all the time. Anyway, the only problem I'm having now (which I'm not sure if it can be fixed) is that since I'm ripping all my files to wav and then encoding to MP3 in batch, I dont get any mp3 tags. Is there anyway arround this or do I have to update them manually? I would rather not rip and encode each CD as I go because its too inefficient time wise. If I sit in front of my computer and rip CDs for an hour, I've got 4-8 hours worth of encoding to do which my computer can do without my input. If I rip and encode each CD at the same time, my computer requires input (ie a new CD) every 30 minutes or so. Any ideas?

10. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Exact Audio Copy is, as far as I know, the only program out there that can rip a CD properly as it actually does error checking unlike all the rest that have been mentioned here.
    You should also read http://www.r3mix.net , there is much worthwhile information there including EAC configuration, and there is a setup manual for EAC at http://www.ping.be/satcp/eacoffsets02.htm that explains things like offsets etc to make sure you get the cleanest possible rip.
    No ideas on the ID3 tags, except of course setting up EAC to rip the file to a proper file name (something like Artist-Album-Songnumber-Songtitle.mp3) and then using a tagging program later on that that can be set up to take the info out of the song title and batch add it to the mp3 files. ID tags aren't necessarily a blessing either, by the way - more on that as well on http://www.r3mix.net .

11. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

As Kimmo said, your best bet for tagging is to generate them from the file name. The tagging in Lame is complete rubbish, to be honest.
    When you rip, use an organised path/filename structure. Like...
    ArtistAlbumTrack
    Make sure in EAC that you put the track number before the track name - so the names will be "01 First Song", "02 Second Song" and so on.
    A good tag generator is TagScanner. Very flexible and it allows you to tag the whole folder structure in one go if you want.
    Get it here

12. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Well, I already have a batch naming program (cant remember the name right now, but I will report back when I get home) that allows you to select all the mp3s from a disk and then insert the disk and it will automatically tag them from cddb. That will probably be the best way to do it.

13. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Just watch out for the typo errors. They're not uncommon on CDDB.

14. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I concur about LAME's bad tagging. Yuck. I used mp3tagstudio (I think that's the name) to fix them.

One day I'll have time to fix the tags on all my LAME-encoded mp3s. Hmm I'll have to check out tagscanner. Thanks!

15. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    I think MP3 Tag Studio is the one I use too. If its the one with an option to tag from the CD info. One thing I havent tried is if you need to sort the tracks or not to get them to tag right.

16. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

Charles, do post what that proggie is when you get home please =]

17. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Ok, it is not MP3 Tag Studio it is MPTagger