What's new

About ready to make sawdust... (1 Viewer)

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Okay - "S" Weekend in three weeks... Here in a few weeks, my bud and I are planning on making a serious amount of sawdust. I'm going to do the pair of lines with some inexpensive 4" full range drivers and a ribbon tweeter in the middle (sorta like those that Jim Griffin made), and figure a crossover later (I can do that without the table saw in the back yard, you know?), and we'll also make a sub for my buddy's media room...

He's going to run it with an old Phase Linear 700 amp, which can put out 500 honest watts stereo into 4 ohms. And he _will_ do that. I think he also uses it as a welder... We're gonna spend some cash on this one...

He wants low hz, and loud, and is thinking sonotube. However, I'm wondering if one could get a dB increase from mounting a pair of speaks close together, that might be the way to go. You wouldn't get that from using the top/bottom of a sonotube, right? Sorta thinking of several configurations...

I'm wondering if a pair of 12" Titanics vented might be the answer. However, I'm also wondering if a pair of 15" DVCs and (how many? how big?) passive radiators or an array of Four 15" Series II 8 ohm speaks (2 x 2 paralleled) might also be sorta fun...

WAF and size are not issues (in fact, something big with a lot of speaks lookin' at you would likely rank high on his list of "cool things" - he's got some Kustoms and monster old Cerwin Vegas, and whatever we cook up won't look any worse...), but dBs and "feeling" the bass is. Definitely looking for freak show bass.

Then again, just a pair of the 15" Quatros might work. Argh.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
Tempest. 4 of those in a sealed box, sorry don't have and software to give you a demension, but that would rock my world. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks