? about purchase of new dish

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrinH, Mar 15, 2001.

1. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

I am about to jump into the world of DSS. I am new to this stuff so here is what I would like to do. Purchase a system with dual LNB but only one receiver. Then purchase a separate receiver for my home theater with more bells and whistles (Digital Out). I also need an antenna and I can get by without a large rooftop one. I visited a neighbors' house who has a dish and one of the small antennas that mounts to the dish to see what kind of reception he got. It was good but it could be a bit better.
    So I was looking at 800.coms' Sony SATB55D system with dual LNB for my basic TV. Is this a good choice for just your run of the mill set? What would you recommend as my second receiver for my home theater? I am not really interested in HDTV even though I have a XBR400. Just don't want to pay for the service. I have decided on Direct TV Total Choice as the programming.
    So for the second receiver Digital output is a must with S-video out. Anything else I should look for in the second receiver? How is the Hughes brand and where could I get them?
    Also what would you recommend as an antenna, 800.com shows a 5' long TERKTV50. How good is this one and how do you mount it?
    Please help..... I don't want to make an uneducated choice that I will hit myself for later. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The EC
    The Entertainment Cave

2. Darold_Brins

Darold_Brins Agent

Darrin,
    The Sony system is a good second receiver. As for the antenna, I would stay away from the Terk type that you mount to the dish (bad reviews). I currently have an omnidirectional in my attic to pick up just the HD channels. The primary system could be a Sony A-60. The Sony systems can be purchased at Orbit Communications .
    I personal have a Sony A-50 a my second receiver, with a DST-3000 as my primary. Hooked up to a Marantz SR-8000 and a Toshiba TW56x81. It is Outstanding!!
    Darold "Brins" Brinley
    If I wasn't flying fighters, I'd be at home watching HDTV!!
    ------------------

3. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

How about Hughes receivers and dishes? I found dishdirect online and their prices for first time subscribers with a year contract are great! I was looking at the platinum receiver for my main and the next level downs system with the dish. They come with a small 18" antenna and free install kit.
    ------------------
    The EC
    The Entertainment Cave

4. Darold_Brins

Darold_Brins Agent

I don't know about the Hughes models themselves (though most models actually use Hughes components)
    Darold "Brins" Brinley
    ------------------
    If I wasn't flying fighters, I'd be at home watching HDTV!!!