? about modifing Stryke Power 15 Enclosure

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DustinDT, Apr 19, 2004.

1. DustinDT

DustinDT Agent

Relatively how much output would I lose from replacing the 18" PR's with 15" PR's to save money?

The plans call for

24"cube
    1x av15
    2x 18" 1600g PR

I want to replace the 18" PR's with 15" 1400g PR's.
    Would I lose lots of output and extension or would I not even notice?

Thanks
    D.

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Originally Stryke didn't sell 18" PRs. So all the designs for 15" drivers used 3-15" PRs. The only problem anyone had was with the subs 'walking' across the floor at very high output. This was a function of the forces not canceling.

You shouldn't try to use only 2PRs, you won't have enough excursion, so you'll need to get 3.

Finally you can't use the 1400g PR's. You'll need a total weight for the 3 PRs that equals 3200g. So buy 3 of the 1050g units and add the extra mass...........

3. DustinDT

DustinDT Agent

Thomas,
    It always amazes me how much you guys know about this stuff. And I appreciate all the help I get on this board wether through direct responses to questions or through searches of previous posts.
    Your answer leads me to another scenario you may be able to advise me on. Buying 3 PR's will kinda negate my intended effect of cost savings.
    I was trying to run some WinISD graphs while I was waiting to see if anyone had any idea and it from my limited knowledge and understanding it looks like if I added another driver to my current box(24"cube 31"x6" port) it would be the cheapest way to go to get increased output and at the same time would control my cone excursion problem.

This leads me to a 3rd question. What would be the caveat of running an old school AV15 alongside the new MKII AV15 in the same cabinet? Would this be advisable or is it a bad idea?

Thanks,
    Dustin

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Color me confused; you can't afford the PR's, but you can afford a second driver?

What cone excursion problem?

Although it can be done, running drivers with significantly different T/S parameters in the same box is difficult. Also adding a second driver to a box that small isn't a good idea.