? about HTIB or receiver & speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug_WR, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Doug_WR

Doug_WR Auditioning

Looking to set up a new HT and have a budget of 1,000

Would HTIB be a the best way to go with these funds or could I do receiver and speakers for same funds?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Doug.

You need to be a bit more specific on what you need.

Does that $1000 need to buy a TV?

One HTIB that has caused a lot of positive talk are the Kenwood HTB systems. I saw a HTB-509 system for $600 at Christmass that included:

- Budget but decent receiver
    - 5 small monitor style speakers
    - self-powered subwoofer
    - 5 disk, progressive scan DVD player

The cool part is that you can swap out pieces without trashing the entire set (a problem with lots of HTB's).

I set up an eariler version (the 506) for friends who just love the system. It's decent.

Good Luck.

3. Doug_WR

Doug_WR Auditioning

thanks, the 1000, did not have a TV in budget, yet with some shopping around and talking to people the budget has gone up to 2000 for the HT with a TV.

So the question now is, do I need to go to a HTB or can anyone recomm. receiver, TV, DVD, (there would be 4 video sources going into the receiver)

TV does not have to HD

4. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

what size TV are you looking for? for 1, what size room will this be in for 2?

5. JeremyFr

if you want 5.1 you could get into the Yamaha RX_V530 for around 399.99 MSRP it features component video switching and 4 video inputs. It features a 75wpc amplifier all channels driven so its a powerhouse. Next you could go with any number of great speaker systems between Energy, Dahlquist, or Home theater Direct that would keep you in a nice budget but give a great soundin system. For DVD player if you'r wanting a multi disc, Toshiba makes a great non progressive 5 disc slimline the SD-2815 for 149.99, the progressive version is 199.99, if you want single disc I'd personally recommend any number of Panasonic or Pioneer Players. For T.V.s Panasonic makes some great sets overall that are quite affordable. I also like Samsung for direct view(tube) sets, but once again I really cant make a recommendation without knowing what screen size you want.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Look what I did for my bedroom system:

Denon AVR-1803 receiver: $450 (very small discount from good guys! online)

Acoustic Research HC6 speaker suite: $400 from J&R Music (a hefty discount price considering the $799 MSRP).

The DVD player and direct-view display were already in place.

Some HTiBs are good, but discreet components are always better.

You should also consider the Energy Take 5.1 speaker suite. Or the Outlaw 1050 receiver at only $499.

7. JeremyFr

yeah I'd second the recommendation for the Energy's unless you're running an abonormally big room, they'll be about the same size as most HTIB speakers but will definately produce much much better sound. I've got them myself and aboslutely love them, they'll still amaze me with there sound quality. I got them at dealer cost for $324.00, but retail is around 700 for them.

8. Iver

Iver Second Unit

The advantages you will get with an HTIB, to varying degrees, include economy, compactness, and simplicity of setup.

For example, if you are in a college dorm room or another very small space you might find an advantage in something like the Panasonic HT95 where the disc player and all the electronics are in a single case.

For economy, there are systems like the Yamaha YHT300 which sells for $400. It includes a decent 5.1 receiver (which lists for $300 though now streets, on a closeout basis, for as low as $200 (J&R)). The receiver in the YHT300, the HTR-5540, a.k.a. the RXV430, is of sufficient quality that you could keep it while later trading up to better speakers.

Other HTIB's are available from Kenwood, Denon, Onkyo, and others.

As far as simplicity of setup, this would only appeal to somebody who finds putting together the separate components overly complex. You really do reduce the total amount of wires that have to be connected when you go with something like the Panny HT95. Some of these all-in-one-box setups even have color-coded speaker wires to further simplify setup.

But the simplicity is not that much of a selling point. If you can set up an HTIB, you can probably set up components. And it's only the all-in-one HTIB's that are actually easier to get up and running than separate components. Of course, all this will vary to some degree according to how well the owners manuals are written.

For $1,000 (for everything besides the TV), I would go with separate components.

Some good receiver bargains now include the above-mentioned HTR-5540 for $200, the Panasonic SA-HE70 (also at J&R, $150), the Panny SA-HE100 (about $250), the Denon AVR-1403 ($300 list), and the Denon AVR-1603 ($400 list). People often mention the Pioneer VSX-D811S as a good deal, and at about $300 it has an amazing feature set, but I'm not that familiar with the Pioneer receivers.

For a DVD player, you could check out Panasonic's RV32, which sells for as low as $100 and also now has a $20 rebate from the manufacturer. A search here will turn up other candidates. The RV32 is a 480i player. If you go with an HD-ready TV, get a progressive-scan DVD player (480p).

For speakers, Paradigm is known as a company that offers good value. Here are some of their systems along with the list prices. Some dealers will discount these a bit:

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Site...e/systems.html

One thing about the Paradigm system is that they are all based on specialized surround speakers for the rear channels. However, you can use regular monopole bookshelf speakers for the rear channels and save some money. The advantage of the specialized surrounds is that they function better than monopoles in creating a diffuse soundfield, which is good for the type of soundtrack audio you usually get from the rear channels. The disadvantage is that they are expensive.

Here's an example of a moderately-priced Paradigm system: Atom fronts ($190), CC-170 center ($200), Micro rear ($150), and PDR-10 subwoofer ($300): $840 total.

This is just one idea. If you do a search here on speakers or post a question you will get plenty of suggestions.