? about hooking up satellite receiver, cable box, VCR, and a/v receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TaraD, Mar 26, 2002.

1. TaraD

TaraD Auditioning

Mar 4, 2002
    My system is completely hooked up except for the cable box and VCR. I will be using both cable and satellite and would like the option to be able to record from both. Currently the satellite is hooked up to the a/v receiver and the TV. My question is how do I hook up the cable box in this configuration as well as the VCR. The instructions for the a/v receiver conflict with the instructions for the satellite receiver. My equipment is:

TV - Sony 32xbr450

SAT - Sony SAT-A55

VCR - Panasonic something (It has two sets of composites, in and out, and then of course the coaxial in and out)

A/V receiver - Denon AVR-2802

Cable Box - can't remember (I'm at work, but I do know that it has every kind of input/output needed)

I would rather if the satellite and cable signals go through the VCR so that I don't have to have the a/v receiver on while recording.

Any help would be appreciated!
  2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999
    To setup the VCR to record from either source:
    Well, I would run Video/L/R audio cables from one, and regular CATV coax from the other.
    Now you have do decide do you use 3 cables from the CATV box or the DSS box.
    Since you want these 2 things to also connect to your receiver, pick the unit that has extra Composite/L/R outputs. Run cables from this to the VCR. Then run CATV coax from the other box to the CATV input on the VCR.
    Hope this helps.