? about hi def and aspect ratio

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JoeHard, Feb 1, 2004.

1. JoeHard

JoeHard Stunt Coordinator

I have my hi def cable box connected to my Pioneer TV via the component video.I cannot control the aspect ratio with the TV, it stays in "full" mode. I can change the picture with the cable box and I set it to stretch for my widescreen so regular broadcasts fill the whole screen. Will this setting stretch my picture when viewing Hi Def signals that don't need to be stretched?

2. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

What kind of equipment do you have? Most TVs lock into full mode when they receive a HD signal (which is 16:9 by definition).

Your cable box should have a setting in one of the service menus that will allow you to specify a 4:3 override for non HD signals.

3. JoeHard

I have a Pioneer SD533HD5 T.V. and a Poneer Voyager HD reciever.The reciever has 3 modes for widescreen viewing of 4:3 images; zoom, stretch, and sidebar.I can't find an override.

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Joe,

If that box is like 99% of the other cable and satellite boxes on the market it's stretch modes will only affect non-HD channels. Any broadcast that comes in at a native HD scanrate will disable the aspect ratio controls on the box so you don't have to worry about your HD channels being stretched.

Keep in mind that when most HD channels are broadcasting non-HD material they put a 4/3 image in the middle of a 16/9 area and fill out the sides with black bars. Since this is sent out at an HD scanrate, the box won't stretch or zoom it. Not all stations do this, some do a stretch at the station (ESPNHD does this).

5. JoeHard

Antony J, Steve,
    I appreciate Your replies. It seems safe to assume My picture is not being stretched in HiDef.Thanks