? About HDMI Upconversion and HDCP

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by chrisLoehr, May 23, 2005.

1. chrisLoehr

chrisLoehr Auditioning

ive been waiting around for like 9 months becuase of questions about all the scenarios. about 35% of my dvds are 4:3 and ive heard the dvb318 has issues when its not upconverting and also that it doesnt have pillarboxing. with the new hdmi upconverters i have been reading that you cannot upconvert any commercial dvds, which are all of mine. i have a rp 53" panny, and all i want is a dvd player that can play 4:3 material without color bleeding and has pillarboxing at least as an option. And a upconverting dvd player that can play the commercial dvds. Has any company managed to crack this mystery, or is there a crack somewhere so you can upconvert certain dvd players over hdmi with a commercial dvd in. this is a frustrating thing to me. thanks for any and all responses to this newb.

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

The best I can tell you is the 318 can do it via component with the right firmware download from the various sites. The difference between HDMI and component on a CRT is nominal according to other upscaling player owners. The only thing I'm not sure is how it will handle 4:3 material on what I assume is a 4:3 screen.

3. chrisLoehr

chrisLoehr Auditioning

well i have (i think you already know) a 16:9 screen. which is not meant in any way to be dis-courteousy. i have read through the 20 pages on the zenith unit and from what i have read in the 480 mode, its just not exceptable.

but most of the pages i read (for the most part) have been from a year ago or later) so i was hoping that their was a company that decided to actualy solve the problems that people want solved and make a dvd player "for the people".

i guess im interested in knowing if ANY hdmi inputs on upconverting dvd players will work on commercial dvds (4:3 excluded)

i think i understand that this is still an issue that is unsolved in any player, and that no manufacturer or "hacker" has been able to figure out.

ive read so many pages on the dvb318 and all the ones on upscaleing players, and just hoped that there was a player that would fit my type of needs

any more input on just suggestions is still appreciated, as i am in the market now. and one of my biggest concerns is the fact that the companies wont allow upconversion on commercial dvds, because its all digital. are there any players where you can do this out of the box or with a firm ware upgrade besides using the component output of the dv 318?

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

AVS Forum is a good source of information. I think there's an Oppo Player that's not plagued with these problems via HDMI/DVI I think.

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

??

The point is ALL upconverting players will upconvert copyright DVDs over HDMI, just NOT component. The DVD forum standard requires any upscaling DVD player to use HDCP, and since HDCP cannot be applied to analog signlas (such as component)-- they can only "officially" supply this upconverted signal via HDMI.

Your posts are confusing, you seem to be asking for upconversion over HDMI, which has never been a problem.

-V

6. chrisLoehr

chrisLoehr Auditioning

youre right, im an idiot.....i guess after reading 18 pages about the zenith unit and like 12 about upscaling players in general you start to sort of lose your mind a little bit....somewhere in that slew of posts i got all confused....thanks for the responses though.

mod....you can delete this thread if you wish.

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Bottom line is this:

There are a couple of players, the Zenith 318 the most common, which violate the rules and supply upsampled DVD via analog component. The only issue is that Zenith recognized this error and corrected the problem on more recent firmware (and, it is important to note, the new firmware also fixed a video problem that the DVI output had).

If you want upscaled DVD via analog component, your best bet is to snag a 318 (which pop up here used pretty often)-- and install the old firmware (which is available online and very easy to install).

If you want upscaled via HDMI or DVI, well I would say watch the Home Theater Hi-Fi shootouts page for the most recent highly rated players (The Panasonic S97 with the newest firmware is the most recent VERY HIGHLY rated affordable player that does HDMI).

Keep in mind that your set must have a HDMI or DVI input that works with HDCP in order to use these upscaling players with copyright discs.

As far as 4:3 pillar boxing, you'll have to check the specs of the players in question... Although most modern HD sets allow you to toggle the display aspect, even on HD resolution inputs. If your set does not, you might consider HTPC as a good alternative: you can supply HD resolutions with excellent scaling and filtering technology, as well as having EXCELLENT aspect ratio control and detection (depending on software).

Simple enough?

-V