What's new

? about foreign region dvd's, specifically Eyes Wide Shut... (1 Viewer)

Patrick G

Second Unit
I'm thinking of getting a multi-region dvd player (Malata or RP91), and had a couple of questions:
1. Will most Region 2,3,4 major title dvd's, such as Eyes Wide Shut, play with English as the spoken language WITHOUT any subtitles, just like a Region 1 dvd here in the US?
2. Which region dvd of Eyes Wide Shut is unedited? There is one that is unedited, right? I'm thinking it's Region 3.
[Edited last by Patrick G on August 28, 2001 at 06:07 PM]

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
1) Depends on the distributor.
2) Eyes Wide Shut R2, R2, and R4 is the uncensored version.
------------------

Patrick G

Second Unit
2) Eyes Wide Shut R2, R2, and R4 is the uncensored version.
I assume you meant to write R2, R3, and R4?
And as for question #1, would you say that many or most big title dvd's will play as Region 1 dvd's do, with English spoken, and no subs?

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
My copy of EWS R4, as ordered from Hong Kong, plays identically to the R1 version in all respects. Same sound, same basic transfer quality (to the extent you can even tell, due to all the film grain), more nekkid people.

Jun-Dai Bates

Stunt Coordinator
I have the German release of Eyes Wide Shut. I have the option of English or German for spoken. You can always turn subtitles off, and usually the original language is an option (though not necessarily the default, you might have to switch it). British films should not be a problem at all (I don't have any, though), and you can order them at www.amazon.co.uk. The only problem is that you should do some research to see if the transfer is any good. There are dozens of british dvd sites (www.dvd.co.uk is an example) you can go to. My copy of Eyes Wide Shut is uncensored, though the difference is minimal. I also got Iron Giant and Sesamstrasse to practice my German (listening skills anyways).
I know nothing about any other regions. My friend has the Japanese version of South Park (which he plays on his Japanese PS2). It's really cool, if you have a Japanese soundtrack, you can hear them sing "Blame Canada" in Japanese (specifically Osaka dialect).

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
As a general rule, DVDs are released with original language and either dubbed soundtrack or subtitles intended to support the market the DVD is intended for. As an example, films originally in English and released in Japan will have English sound track, dubbed Japanese soundtract and optional Japanese subtitles. If the film were originally in say French, there would be no English support on the Japanese release.

Chuck Blair

Agent
Generally English language films will have English on a foreign produced DVD, but don't count on it. I purhcase Nic Roeg's Insignificance from Germany and it only has a German dub. Thankfully the German Don't Look Now I purchased at the same time has an English track as well as being anamorphic widescreen. It made up for the hurt in finding out I couldn't understand the dialogue in Insignificance--I couldn't even sync it up with my laserdisc since the German DVD is PAL and 4% faster.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Assuming you have PAL playback capabilities, any DVD ordered from the UK (R2), Australia (R4) or Hong Kong (R3) (often NTSC) you will get the film in its original language and, if that language is English, without forced subtitles. Some German and French (both R2) DVDs have irremovable German/French subtitles if you select English as the language.
Eyes Wide Shut is uncensored pretty much everywhere outside of R1.

Roland Wandinger

Stunt Coordinator
Some German and French (both R2) DVDs have irremovable German/French subtitles if you select English as the language.
I don't have a Malata DVD player but a SKYWORTH 1050P which is also a chines product. On the Skyworth forced subtitles can be turned off as follows:
1. play movie in english with forced subtitles
2. press "stop" button
3. press "subtitle" button twice
4. press "play" again
Maybe this would work with the Malata too?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks