What's new

? about Ethernet cables (1 Viewer)

cdesperado

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Ok, so... I did some searches on the forum about this but nothing stood out (out of hundreds of options), so I apologize in advance because I am sure this has been covered before.

I have a new HT system using Verizon FIOS and I am curious about something. The cable box is connected to the Verizon widget via a Co-Axial cable. There is an Ethernet port on the back of the cable box and also one on the back of my plasma. I have a Pioneer Elite receiver (VSX-82TXS), but there is no Ethernet port on the back of that.

I have two questions regarding the use of Ethernet cable:
1.) Is there signal degradation by using a Coax cable instead of an Ethernet cable? And if so, is there any reason I should continue to use the coax? (The picture looks great, but could it look even better?)

2.) I am considering hooking up the cable box to my home's LAN bc I **think** I can connect my cable box to my PC and use a harddrive there to supplement my DVR hard drives. However, there is only one Ethernet port on the back of the cable box (Motorola QIP6416-2)... so how can I connect the DVR box to my PC via Ethernet cables AND use the Ethernet port as the primary input for the TV signal?

I hope this makes sense... basically, I am trying to figure out what to do with this Ethernet port on the back of the DVR box.

Thank you!

pankarty

Grip
Real Name
pankarty
kanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabka nmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanm anabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanman abkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanab kanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabka nmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanm anabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanman abkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanab kanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabka nmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanm anabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanman abkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanab kanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabka nmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanm anabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanman ab

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I doubt your ethernet port is even active on the box. cable companys dont use it, its a dead port. FiOS may be different, but I am not sure. best advice I can give is to call their customer support and ask them if its utilized or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks