About DVD-R, DVD+R

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Gillespie, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I'm close to buying the Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/DVD+R writer, but I'm a bit unsure about media.

From the (UK) suppliers I've looked at, there's some big discrepancies in the cost of discs. I've seen TDK discs at less than £3, but less-known brands for well under £1.

I'm not a fan of going cheap at the expense of reliability (the drive will be used a lot for data storage) but that said, I don't want to pay unnecessarily. Does anyone here have experience of what is good and bad in the world of DVD-R/+R (and RW) media?

Also, do you actually get 4.7gb of usable space?

Ta

Rob

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hmmm, if I remember correctly from www.dvdwriters.co.uk (on their review of the new Pioneer A05 or was it the A04?), you get roughly 4 gb (but not the full 4.7) depending on the filesystem you choose. Ugh, my memory isn't working properly.
    Maybe just check that website, if you haven't already, and see if that helps. They do talk about the various media available...

3. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

I've got a DRU500A in my computer, and it has had absolutely ZERO problems burning the el-cheapo 89 cent disks I found here. I've burned about 30 DVD-R disks with perfect burns every time, and about 10 DVD-RW disks as well. I'm burning at 1x speeds though to be safe. I don't believe the generic media is rated for 2x.

I get the full 4.7 gig size out of all the media I've used thus far.

On the other hand, I've had 5 coasters though with Memorex DVD+R disks, on things that burned perfectly to DVD-R. I think the problem however was that the +R disks automatically defaulted to 2.5x burn speed, which may have been too fast.

4. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

Out of curiosity, how long does it take you to burn a full disk at 2x, and 1x?

5. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

When they say 4.7 GB, it's 4.7 billion bytes, which in computer math is about 4.37 gigabytes. That's usually where the discrepancy lies.

There is no overburning in the DVD world, by the way.

1x speed is regular DVD playback speed, about 10 megabits per second. It takes about an hour to burn a full disc at 1x. At 2x it should take about half an hour. When I make a DVD, the burn time is but a fraction of the time it takes to prepare the video.

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

OK, thanks for the help. Credit card is getting itchy.