? about bookshelf speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jim Mcc, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I have bookshelf speakers with 6.5" woofers I want to use as my front and rear surround speakers. They have a rear hole(port) and I was wondering if I mount them flush against the drywall will that ruin the sound? Or would it be a minor thing? Where I want to mount them there is no stud, but I could use drywall anchors if I had to for speaker brackets. What does the hole(port) do, how would it affect sound? Thanks.

2. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

I believe that you deffinately DO NOT want to mount them. I believe and I am no expert, that you will lose alot of the bass response on your speakers.

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Michael, would losing bass be the only problem to mounting them against drywall? Because I have a subwoofer and I have all my other speakers set to "small" anyway. Is the hole(port) for air movement or something else?

4. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

I mean if it's possible for you...and you already have it hooked up cover the hole with your hand. I just did this with one of my titans and to me it sounded awful....plus if you cover the hole the speakers extension might not go low enough to hit your receivers crossover...give you a huge dip in that select frequency. Now I really have no idea what I'm talking about but i think this is the case.

5. Max F

Max F Second Unit

I think you are asking for all kinds of problems, including having those heavy speakers crashing out of the walls. Definitely go for stands, and if you have too, at least use speaker brakets. Check out b-tech from crutchfield - they have one set that can hold pretty heavy speakers. AND USE A STUD!!

6. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

Jim,
    I have some Polk RTi38 bookshelf's on stands with rear Power Ports. At first I put them close to the wall (decorator = wife) but they sounded a whole lot better when I pulled them about 15" away from the wall so that's where I left 'em. Plus being on stands gives me the option of moving them a little to the left or right to get even better sound placement.

7. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

You need to give rear-facing ported speakers some room, at least a few inches.

If you really want flush mounted speakers, replace them with in-wall speakers designed with sealed enclosures.

8. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I have a feeling that the rear port would be barely used if you have an 80Hz crossover point set on your receiver. Not enough bass would go through the port to affect the speakers's performance in a significant way.

Probably the best thing to do would be to try and mount them. Test them out and see how it works out. If there are issues, work on a plan "B" to buy some micro mounts to wall-mount your speakers, but with a few inches of space between the wall and the back of the speaker.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    With an x-over of 80hz, those speakers could see frequencies as low as 40Hz, but I doubt they are capable of that anyway. You can plug the ports with a sock or other soft material. This will reduce bass output and likely drop the sensitivity slightly, but you won't have to worry about the port being close to the wall any longer. For surrounds, it probably won't make a huge difference either way.

You don't need to mount them to anything to test it out - get something to set them on, and put them close to the wall. Then pull them out a few feet and see if you can tell the difference. I'd guess you will, but see what kind of a difference it makes in your room.

10. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Jim, I'm with John on this one.

My Dynaudios have such a port and they come with foam plugs for use on a "bookshelf," which means a closed off rear, which could just as easily mean wall-mounted. I'm sure they choose foam for a reason, perhaps you have some lying around in the basement that was used in packaging ....

Just do it right, as you surely would, and be sure the mount is 2x as strong as it needs to be.

You will lose some bass, but if that mattered to you, you wouldn't be using bookshelf speakers anyway, right?

Good luck.