1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

? about adding an amp to my setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom_Price, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Tom_Price

Tom_Price Stunt Coordinator

Okay, I have an Onkyo TX-DS777 with Klipsch RF-3 II for the fronts, RC-3 II for the center, and RS-3 II for the surrounds. I am planning buying a separate amp for some extra power, and i'll use the 777 as a preamp/processor. The amp I was looking at is the 5 channel Carver AV-705x which is said to supply 125 watts to each of the 5 main channels. I have an SVS 16-49 CS with the Samson S700 amp, so there's no need for a 6 channel amp.

My concern is this...the RF-3's and the RC-3 are all said to handle 150 watts continuous. However, the RS-3's are said to only handle around 110 watts continuous. If I get the amp, will be there be a good chance of my rear speakers blowing due to too much power? What can I do, or how should I go about this?

Thanks for any help in advance,

TJ

2. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

You really cant "blow" speakers from too much power. If you had 10,000 watt amps running your speakers, you would be fine (assuming you didnt max out the volume, in which case your head would probably blow before the speakers would).

Your speakers will work fine with that amp.

Jeff