About A Boy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

For once, us Brits have the chance of disucssing a major movie before you Yanks! [​IMG]
    Just got back from this one, and boy have the Weitz brothers hit a home run. Though quite a small film, and certainly not one that'll likely be remembered in years to come, its an exceptionally funny, touching comedy. Great performances, superb score by Badly Drawn Boy, and a well-constructed script. It's got some killer scenes, and it single-handedly has converted me from a Hugh Grant sceptic to a Hugh Grant fan! [​IMG] Simply put - this is a star performance, that I perviously wouldn't have expected him capable of. The apparently long search they had to undergo in casting Marcus ended with a great young actor. He inhabits the role, and really gets into the quirky side.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Highly recommended. Should be a solid hit. So much better than Notting Hill, and quite a bit better than Bridget Jones's Diary IMO.
    2 other plus points: Rachel Weisz is adorable, and for us North/West Londoners, there are plenty of great locations for us to recognise! [​IMG]

2. Ken Situ

Ken Situ Stunt Coordinator

Wouldn't you say this script (even the original book) and film have Hugh Grant written all over it.

I think it's natural for Hugh Grant to excell in it.

Note: I havn't see this movie yet.

3. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Glad to hear it's turned out good, Paul. Been looking forward to this as I downright loved the novel.

I don't think it's a natural role for Hugh Grant, certainly not the 'old' Grant before taking the Bridget Jones' role. The character's not the foppish stereotypical English blundering middleclass bloke he tended to play.

5. Ken Situ

Ken Situ Stunt Coordinator

I meant his acting style, and in particular, his real life - isn't he a loveboy of some sort? I thought he spent quite bit of time chasing down women, and had fun with them.

6. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

7. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

8. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

9. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Yup. It's one of the points of his character - he doesn't have to work, he has literally more money than he can comfortably spend, all due to that one song.

10. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Saw this one yesterday. Can't say I was impressed.

Well filmed (in scope), nicely played, and nothing wrong with the script, but I give it 2 stars out of 5. I found it tepid. This, from the writer of High Fidelity and the people who brought us Four Weddings And A Funeral and Notting Hill? I was underwhelmed. This was nothing more than a TV movie on the big screen, one of those reasonably entertaining dramas you get on Sunday evenings. It could have been so much more (well, maybe it couldn't; I haven't read the book).

11. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer