? About 6.1 Set Up

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jason celaya, Nov 29, 2001.

1. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

i have my HT room set up where my main seating is against the back wall. My 2 rear speakers are placed above my head along the side walls 6 inches behind me and facing each other to diffuse sound. If i were to add a sixth speaker for 6.1 (yes I have processing capablity)it would be just shy of being the middle of the firing zone of the other two. By adding the additional speaker hurt my soudstage more than help.

2. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

I forgot to put a question mark at the end of the last sentence.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Jason- I think you'd have to try it and see. [​IMG]
    But my understanding is that the rear speaker is supposed to go behind you. Not up above you.
    But it sounds like that might not work in your set up.

4. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Stunt Coordinator

Jason:
    Kevin (the previous poster) and I have been participating in an other active thread surround ex sound? that discusses your question.
    An other member said that the benefits of Surround EX over a well laid out 5.1 arrangement were minimal. The first paragraph of my response (excerpted below) speaks to your question.

5. Andy Brady

Andy Brady Auditioning

I currently have a 6.1 set up with a DENON 3802. I sit very close to my rear wall with the two rear surrounds facing each other against the back wall behind me. My surround back is against the back wall above me angled down about 30 degrees. The sound from the rear channel is very noticable. The key since it is above is to angle down and place it above the rear surrounds slightly. That way the rear surround single is not bloked and the back surround cuts through. This may not be technically correct but because of my room layout this is the only option I have. This set up for me works impressiveably well. I tried Godzilla the other night in DD 6.1 (matrixed) and it the sound coming from the back surround was outstanding. The rear surrounds and back channel blended very well in this movie.