What's new

? about 5.1 placement (1 Viewer)

willemBER

Auditioning
room is 16x12x9. I will be projecting on one of the 12' walls. Seating will be about 13-14' from that wall. If the mains beside the screen are 1' from the side walls they would be 10 feet apart. Will that be OK considering the distance from each speaker to the seating area is more than 14'?

Also, I wanted to wall mount the surrounds on the side wall about 2' behind the seats and about 6' high, but the way the door opens into the room that is not possible. Would it be OK to mount them on the rear wall above the door? This would make them another 1 1/2' back and about 2' higher.

Finally, the center channel. Above or below... Below would be so much easier. Eventually I will have an acoustically neutral screen, but that is who knows how many years off.

This room will be dedicated HT for movies only with Onyx Rocket ELT speakers.

Thanks for help in advance
-W

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
Most of the recommendations that I have read have the center above the screen- though having it below is not a terrible thing.

I don't think that you want your 5.1 surrounds on the rear wall- at least not according to Dolby's guidlines. Couldn't tell you what it would sound like- but it runs contrary to the specs. And 6' up- well, can't tell if that is good or bad. It all depends on where the listener's ear is. Check out Dolby's website.

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
Most of the recommendations that I have read have the center above the screen- though having it below is not a terrible thing.

I don't think that you want your 5.1 surrounds on the rear wall- at least not according to Dolby's guidlines. Couldn't tell you what it would sound like- but it runs contrary to the specs. And 6' up- well, can't tell if that is good or bad. It all depends on where the listener's ear is. Check out Dolby's website.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks