? about 1080i

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Harold Southard, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Harold Southard

Harold Southard Stunt Coordinator

I am watching "Fear Factor" right now in HD. The signal is 1080i, but I have black bars on the sides. As you may know in 1080i mode you can not change the aspect. Is this because the broadcast station is sending a 4 x 3 signal? My kids and I watched the Lion King sunday (on ABC I think). It filled the screen, but the spots where the host spoke about the dvd that comes out tuesday and the commercials were not. Also 720p does the same thing. By the way my tv is a Panasonic 53wxd63 RPTV. This may be a silly question, but this is my first HDTV. The picture is stunning. The built in tunner does a great job, I am picking up all my locals on non-amped rabbit ears from about 70 miles away!

2. John S

John S Producer

If the HDTV broadcaster is sending 4:3 out their HDTV feed, this is normal.

3. Harold Southard

That's what I thought. Thanks for the reply.

4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Commercials and shows that are non-HD (4:3) are upscaled to HD and broadcast with bars on the side or (in the case of ESPN-HD) stretched. This is normal until more HD content is available. The superbowl had a couple HD commercials, so they are coming, until then we will have the bars (sometimes bars on all sides due to non-HD letterbox commercials).

5. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

HD channels always broadcast in a 16:9 format. With 4:3 material, they'll add the bars to the sides to fill up the aspect ratio. Your TV doesn't know the difference. As far as it's concerned, you're getting a 16:9 picture.

ESPND is the only station I've seen that doesn't use the bars, they'll actually stretch the 4:3 material as part of the broadcast.

6. Harold Southard

Thanks. I suspected as much, but was unsure.