What's new

Able to receive HDTV at 32 miles ? (1 Viewer)

Len S

Auditioning
I live approx 32 (as the crow flies) miles from HD transmitters in New York City. I am on the South Shore of Long Island. I have few obstructions. With a regular (non-preamp on mast) rooftop antenna, can I expect to get what NYC HD transmitters are broadcasting? Do I need a better "box" than RCA's DTC100? OR would I be better off with the echostar 6000 and their OTA module?
THANKS.
Len S

CRyan

Screenwriter
I know nothing about the DTC100 and its capabilities, but I do know that there have been people able to get DTV reception as far as 65 miles away. You should have no problem. Try pointing your antenna in that direction to see if analog reception is possible. This will at least give you a good idea.
C. Ryan

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
Len-
I have used the DTC100 and the Toshiba DST-3000 here in Huntington. Using an indoor dual bowtie antenna, I am able to pull in FOX, WCBS, WPIX, and WNBC. The only problem I have is I have to adjust the antenna's position for the different stations. When I had the antenna right by my TV, I was able to get WABC, FOX, and WCBS consistently. When I brought it up to my attic, I was able to pull in NBC, but I lost FOX. My friend in Northport has a rooftop UHF/VHF antenna(pre-amped) that is temporarily downed. He had to leave it in his attic for now. Anyway, he is pulling in everything from Manhattan with no problems whatsoever.
------------------
My Equipment List My DVD Collection
Link Removed

TimF

Auditioning
Len,
I have a DTC-100 and I found that going to the antenna signal strength menu allows me to adjust for best reception. I try to adjust above 60. I find that any signal below that will pixilate when a car drives by. I live 40 miles from the tower and I have to adjust my antenna for NBC.
------------------
Famous Quote: "I see dumb people"

Al Rebchook

Agent
I know nothing about the DTC100 and its capabilities, but I do know that there have been people able to get DTV reception as far as 65 miles away. You should have no problem. Try pointing your antenna in that direction to see if analog reception is possible. This will at least give you a good idea.
Do you know what type of antenna they are using?
I'm about 70 miles from an HDTV source, and I'm planning on using a roof top antenna.
I was thinking of the Terk 60.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks