ABKCO's SACDs going out-of-print?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Danny Tse, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

First, the Rolling Stones SACD titles were reissued as plain old CDs. Tonight, at my local Best Buy, I noticed that the Animals' "Retrospective" is also being reissued as a plain old CD. So if you are interested in getting the Animals, Herman's Hermits, Sam Cooke and the Rolling Stones on SACD, I'd say you better do it quickly.

2. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Were these not hybrids? Why, for the love of all that's holy, would they do something like this?[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Because the extra miniscule sales they get from releasing them as hybrid SACDs isn't worth the added cost to create them.

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    That's absurd. If they've already gone to the trouble, then leaving them as single inventory hybrids cannot be that much more expensive.

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Yes, the ABKCO SACD titles were originally single-inventory hybrids packaged in digipaks. Now they are regular CD, remastered using DSD, in regular CD jewel cases.

6. Marc Colella

Absurd?

Compared to CDs, there is limited production lines for hybrid discs. The cost difference is obviously enough of a difference for them to go back to CD.

If cost isn't enough of a reason, then maybe you could explain why they would stop making hybrids.

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    does anyone have a list of the mentioned hybrids so i or anyone can know what ones to look for?

8. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Isn't this exactly what they did with the SACDs from Bob Dylan, as well?

9. Marc Colella

Yep, and the Rolling Stones as well if I recall.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what's happening to this format.

10. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

And ABCKO kept the same UPC code for the DSD Remaster Stones disks so you aren't guaranteed to get the SACD if you order them on line. I ordered Hot Rocks 1964 - 1971 from both Amazon and DeepDiscountCD and both sent the DSD Remaster instead of the SACD even though their site said SACD. Fortunately, I got full refunds in both cases. I was able to get Hot Rocks 1964 - 1971 and The Singles Collection SACDs from Overstock.com. In summary, they are going fast.

11. Reagan

Reagan Supporting Actor

Reagan
    I haven't been paying attention to the music area lately and I got burned by this over the weekend.

I've picked up a few of the Stones SACDs in the past, but not the whole collection.

I saw HOT ROCKS and LET IT BLEED in hard cases with the words "DSD REMASTERED" printed on the spine and I thought "I guess ABKCO changed the packaging on the SACDs." As we know, this was not the case. Fortunately BB let me return them both (even Let it Bleed after I opened it). Even more fortunately, I found the actual SACDs at another location.

-Reagan