What's new

Aberdeen (1 Viewer)

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Might be Moving from Houston, Tx to Aberdeen, Scotland.

Will my Home Theater components work over there. Will I be able to use a simple plug adapter for my Computer, 47" Panny TV, Reciever, Xbox, etc....

Just curiose If I need to think about selling this stuff or If I'll actually be able to use it ove there.

Thanks for the advice.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
You're an oil man then, Bill? :) Been to Aberdeen before?

There's two things to be concerned about - electical standards & TV standards.

For your computer, it should just be a matter of switching the voltage on the power supply - look at the back of your computer near the powercord, there's usually a little switch. Switch it over and buy a new power cord when you arrive in the UK.

For your HT gear, you'll need adapters for all of it. If your gear is expensive & high powered, you may need to spend a little more on better quality adapters to be safe with the difference in voltage.

As for your TV, I'm guessing it's NTSC only... In which case you won't be able to watch UK broadcast TV (which is PAL) or UK bought DVDs. If you're planning on importing DVDs from abroad (which is common in the UK), then by all means take your TV. If you do decide to not take it with you, you'll have to get used to something smaller - TVs generally aren't anywhere near that size in the UK.

As for your Xbox, it won't play UK bought games - again they're PAL and also region coded to not play on US XBoxen. Your machine could be modded to play all regions. If you're happy to import games (which is not uncommon or hard to do), then feel free to take your US XBox with you - you'll need a power converter again, but no big deal.

Simple US to UK travel adaptor on Maplin - this would work for a Xbox.

Portable stepdown transformer from Maplin - this is a more "heavy duty" adaptor.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
what Brian said.

FWIW, sounds to me it might be worthwhile to keep only the audio side of things for now, since these should work easily with the only issue being the voltage and AC cycle, which a transformer can take care of, whereas a new TV (PAL v. NTSC) and DVD player should be bought; I am not sure if the UK regularly sells multi-system TVs and players (multi-coded of course), like here in South East Asia -- if so, it seems like a good opportunity to get some gear that will enable you to play R2/4 stuff when you return to the US.

e.g., I often suggest to anyone travelling here to buy a DVD player, which will be multi-system and multi-code right out of the box.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I am not sure if the UK regularly sells multi-system TVs and players (multi-coded of course),
Yes. Most TVs sold in the UK now can easily handle PAL50/60 as well as NTSC. I'd say the majority of DVD players sold can either be modded or "hacked" to be region selectable - it's frequently a selling point even in mainstream stores.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Hmm Thanks for the Info guys.

knew about the regional DVD thing but didn't realize the Broadcasts would be different.

This might just be a good opertunity to upgrade soem of my system, New DVD Player and TV at the very least.

But I'm used to my 47", don't know If I'd want to scale down. I'll get with Panny to see if it will except PAL as well as NTSC. Its only about 1 year old. Got a guy lined up to buy it over here already just in case.

Than again I figured if I sold everything and Live like I did when in college, I would be able to pay off all my debt and start over Debt free (not included those damn student loans). That would be a nice feeling too.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Hmm Thanks for the Info guys.

knew about the regional DVD thing but didn't realize the Broadcasts would be different.

This might just be a good opertunity to upgrade soem of my system, New DVD Player and TV at the very least.

But I'm used to my 47", don't know If I'd want to scale down. I'll get with Panny to see if it will except PAL as well as NTSC. Its only about 1 year old. Got a guy lined up to buy it over here already just in case.

Than again I figured if I sold everything and Live like I did when in college, I would be able to pay off all my debt and start over Debt free (not included those damn student loans). That would be a nice feeling too.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
A couple of things to consider:

Converters for high end equipment that use a lot of power are somewhat expensive. I’d put your RPTV in that category. Your receiver might be, depending on how much power it draws.

Your assignment might be different, but in general you never know how long these things will last. I went to Australia for a month and left over five years later (this after spending over two years in Singapore instead of an expected six months). If you wind up in Scotland for a number of years, you will be far better off not taking or storing things like your TV.

Plus, you might wind up living in apartments that already have some electronic gear, such as a TV. True, it won’t be what you expect or want, but it won’t cost anything.

A lot of TV in the UK is 16:9. You did not mention, but if that 47” Panasonic is 4:3, it might not be optimal.

Have fun.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
It was a 16:9, and I'm expecting the duration to be at least 2 years if not longer.

I definatly don't want to have to get another Computer (Just built it) or a reciever (I have a Onkyo 600)or speakers and such.

I could live with having to get another TV, as I would probably have to upgrade the RPTV in a couple of years anyway since it has no DVI connection.

Is there anything to worry with DD or DTS Decoding from alternate region discs? Basically if I do go with a new DVD without internal DD decoding can I still run the DVD audio signal into my Reciever or does this speak a different language as well?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Is there anything to worry with DD or DTS Decoding from alternate region discs? Basically if I do go with a new DVD without internal DD decoding can I still run the DVD audio signal into my Reciever or does this speak a different language as well?
No, its just region-encoding on the DVD. DD and DTS are decoded in exactly the same manner. As long as your DVD player will accept the region code (play the DVD) you will be OK

It is not too hard to find DVD players that have dual-voltage power supplies, that are happy with both PAL and NTSC and are region free. There are some that will even convert PAL DVDs to NTSC, so you don’t have to worry about your NTSC TV (this won’t help for TV however).

You did not mention, but if you have a VCR, the chances that it will play a tape recorded in PAL satisfactorily is almost zero. VCRs are so cheap, that your best bet would be to buy one in the UK. I have a multi-power one that records and plays back PAL, NTSC and SECAM, but on balance I think that it cost more than its value.

E

Eric Kahn

I was on the UK sony site awhile back investigating multi region TV's, you can get RPTV's over there but be prepared for sticker shock, the prices were about twice what they are here

you need to check and see if your reciever can handle 50 cycle power, transformers will not change the cyclic rate of ac current.

it really would be out of the question to ship your Panasonic over to the UK since you would never be able to watch anything over there unless you brought all you NTSC stuff with you, In my search last year for multi region stuff, panasonic did not sell any here at all, the biggest thing I came up with was a 32 inch Hitachi analog set so you should go ahead and sell your TV before your friend buys another

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't bother with the TV Bill, for all the reasons stated above - plus it'll cost you an arm and a leg to actually get it shipped over and who knows what will happen to it in it's packing crate.

The RP market here is now much bigger than it was a couple of years ago but still tiny compared to the US and the prices reflect that. Expect to pay around £1500 for a decent 40' 16:9 set, £2000 for a really nice one. Prices for larger sets are often over £3000.

I'd wait until you see what size place you're living in before you invest in a TV. Generally, properties are smaller over here. Unfortunately, the prices are anything but small.

Welcome to rip-off Britain :)

Devin U

Second Unit
youre probly best off starting over. As far as getting new audio gear, try www.richersounds.com. they have lot of stores in bigger cities too. I never boght from there, but I used to brouse alot, and they seemed nice and knowegable. Maybe some locals could steer you better. Alot of midrange priced speakers are made in Brittan, and can be had for significantly less over there. Most of the TV's you get over there are multi standard now, and most of the dvd players will do R1 discs. As far as the xbox, you may want to pick one up over there. I know, back in the days of PS1's (when I lived over there), you could buy modded players that would read NTSC discs, but I have never found a way to make a NTSC player do PAL discs (I tried like crazy for a while. I fell in love with cricket, and they just dont market it for video games systems here).

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
very hard to find dual-voltage powered, subwoofers
one name: SVS.

I live in 50Hz/220V country, and SVS can adjust a switch for either this or your US 60HZ/110V. but Tom V did say it was factory set and of course I opted for 50Hz/220V; I don't know how easy it is to change it yourself, since I don't expect to need to do this myself

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Thanks alot for the info guys, this is great.

I'm pretty sure I'll get a New DVD player, and it will definatly be multi Regional and PAL/NTSC Friendly.

The Reciever and the Speakers will be coming, The Sub (I just got a Inexpensive Yamaha, I think its about 200W) I'll bring and see if I can get something to make it work.

We'll have to get a TV over there since I don't want to risk sending mine. I'm thinking of a mid 30's size 16:9 HDTV.

NO VCR anymore so don't have to worry about that.

SVS, well thats alittle expensive for my tastes, and the Yamaha makes me happy enough for now.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Another question,

The cable over there, would it be best that I get an HDTV or would that be a waste of money?

I'm going to check out the sights you guys have listed but are there any other UK based sights that will deliver electronic equipment?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks