What's new

Abel Gance's "Napoleon". (1 Viewer)

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I read some years ago that Gance's epic once had some 3D sequences. I recall that Gance was quoted, perhaps in Kevin Brownlow's "The Parade's Gone By", as saying how well they worked.
Is this true (or an urban legend) and if so, how likely is it that any of the material has survived?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I read some years ago that Gance's epic once had some 3D sequences. I recall that Gance was quoted, perhaps in Kevin Brownlow's "The Parade's Gone By", as saying how well they worked.
Is this true (or an urban legend) and if so, how likely is it that any of the material has survived?

No sign of them. And no record that I've seen. Mr. Brownlow would know more.

Reactions: PMF

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've been hoping against hope for ages that the 3D sections might one day be found hiding inside an attic somewhere, or under someone's bed. Stranger things have happened .. look at the discovery not so long ago of a beautiful print of Dreyer's 'Passion of St Joan'!

Jimmy Eckersley

Auditioning
Real Name
James Eckersley
I was at a British Film Institute talk on restoring Napoleon on Monday and Mr Brownlow and his colleague Patrick Stanbury were asked about 3D. Apparently as far as they've been able to tell tests were done, but the film itself did not have 3D sequences.

It was a very interesting discussion, and a good flavour of it can be gained from Mr Brownlow's excellent book on the subject.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I was at a British Film Institute talk on restoring Napoleon on Monday and Mr Brownlow and his colleague Patrick Stanbury were asked about 3D. Apparently as far as they've been able to tell tests were done, but the film itself did not have 3D sequences.

It was a very interesting discussion, and a good flavour of it can be gained from Mr Brownlow's excellent book on the subject.

Good to know. Thanks.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
What is happening with the release of NAPOLEON in the U.S. ? I had thought that was supposed to happen in 2018.

Reactions: PMF

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
In process.

Decided to watch the Brownlow version of "Napoleon" to celebrate the 7 year anniversary of when I saw it in Oakland, CA. Got me thinking about the restoration you are working on.

Is the goal to still present the Apollo version w/triptych? Researching online, I read that the Apollo version was 9 hours and no triptych - 13,261 m. (9 hrs. 40 min.) (http://www.cinematheque.fr/article/662.html)

However the press release from the Cinemateque Franciase states: "Restoring Napoleon to its original Apollo version, including the three-screen finale, will at last enable audiences to see a definitive six-and-a-half- hour version. They will at last see the film as the musical composition Abel Gance intended it to be in 1927. They will see the music of light. Make a date for 2017. Discover a masterpiece such as it has not been seen for ninety years."

I'm assuming by the Apollo version it refers to the editing choices by Gance and not the actual running time, correct? Taking preference over that version versus the Opera version at 5,200-metre version (3 hrs. 47 min.).

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Oakland Paramount theatre 2012

napoleon-installing-screen.jpg

NapoleonTriptych.jpg

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I was there! Best cinematic experience of my life. Second best was the screening of Napoleon at Radio City Music Hall.
bujaki, I completely understand the whole deal about it being very crowded at Radio City Music, and all;
but, Gee-Whiz, the least you could have done was say "Hello".;)

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
The run at the Paramount in Oakland was on two weekends. I went both weekends. My only regret is that I did not go for every performance. [There was only one performance each day.]

I still find myself saying, "Oh, I guess I will go see Napoleon again this weekend." I cannot get it out of my mind that it isn't still playing.

This ranks as one of my top cinema experiences of all time. I am something of a fanatic about exceptional exhibition.

I will buy the Blu-ray (4k??) when it comes out but may not watch it much. I never watch Lawrence at home although I have several copies in different formats.

Great thanks to those involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks