What's new

Abel Gance's Napoleon makes TV debut in the states? (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Turner Classic Movies is showing the excellent 1927 film, Napoleon.

It's the 1981 reconstructed version with all the tints and tones added.

It also has the Carmine Coppola score.

Is this the first time this movie has made a TV showing? I doubt any other channel would dare to air a 4 hour long silent!

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
PBS has shown this film several times...that's where I first saw it...and yes, it was the 1981 restored version.

Sam Graves

Stunt Coordinator
I was surprised and happy to see Napoleon on TCM last night. I was interested in how the "widescreen" scenes would be handled, as I have never seen Napoleon on television. It appeared that the three parts were placed in a 2:35:1 ratio. Will someone please comment on this (the ratio)?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
One wonders if Coppola will ever see fit to release this on DVD, or even better yet, release Brownlow's further restorations, which have added another hour to the running time (still about an hour missing last I heard--including all of the other polyvision segments). I still remember seeing this on the 1981 release and the great feeling when the tricolor end segment started up and the curtains opened to reveal the full wide screen. Quite thrilling.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Polyvision finale is presented in a 3:1 ratio (Supposed to be 4:1, so the picture has a 1/3 squeeze)

Clips of the finale without squeeze can be seen in Kevin Brownlow's excellent Cinema Europe: The Other Hollywood. A DVD could show the 4:1 picture fine if it were 16x9 enhanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks