ABC Wide World of Mystery Movies released 09/26/06

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by WadeM, Sep 22, 2006.

1. WadeM

WadeM Supporting Actor

The only reason I'm starting this thread using the US title is for faint hope that it will get more attention than the other thread that used the UK title, http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=238802 which hasn't received hardly any attention at all.

The Complete Season 1 of what used to be known in the US as ABC Wide World of Mystery (in the UK it was known as Thriller) is being released on 09/26/06 in R1 DVD. More info on this series can be found here: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/releasei...ReleaseID=6094 and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrille...K_TV_series%29)

"New and exclusive extra content on the A&E set includes interviews with Brian Clemens, John Cooper and the most prolific "Thriller" director Shaun O'Riordan, as well as individual introductions (by Clemens) for the 10 stories on the set."

The R1 DVD is being released under the original title of Thriller

2. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    Some of the episode titles were changed for US television, where they were presented as TV movies not really part of any series, as in the UK. It's also the original UK versions of the episodes here, not the US ones which were edited slightly different. But I don't think that was the case with this first season anyway, so you're not missing anything. Just buy it, it's great studio bound and videotaped TV horror, like only the Brits knew how to make it. [​IMG]

3. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Supporting Actor

Bob Gudera
    Well you have sold me on this THRILLER set. I remember WIDE WORLD OF MYSTERY as being interesting, fun, and well cast.

If I remember correctly, WIDE WORLD OF MYSTERY was part of ABC's WIDE WORLD OF ENTERTAINMENT, which also included: WIDE WORLD OF COMEDY, GOODNIGHT AMERICA with Geraldo, and THE DICK CAVETT SHOW, and even some beauty contests.

There were also U.S. produced MYSTERY segments. I remember one with Craig Stevens and Jo Ann Pflug as NICK & NORA. I think the Dan Curtis produced DRACULA and DR.JEKYLL AND MR HYDE were shown or rerun as part of MYSTERY.(Or was that CBS LATENIGHT?)

Is there a good episode guide or book around detailing THRILLER and the U.S. produced WIDE WORLD OF MYSTERY segments? IMDB is spotty on this.

4. WadeM

WadeM Supporting Actor

5. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

Hmm...I remember seeing some of these as a kid on ABC- definitely worth looking into. And considering that a lot of them were written by UK's answer to Rod Serling Brian Clemens, I think that it's woth a blind buy to those who haven't seen these shows yet!

6. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    Black Nun's fan site is excellent, all the info you need is there, page bottom has the episodes info.

7. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

Wasn't THRILLER brought over without a title change at some point? I seem to remember it on cable somewhere, perhaps in the early days of the Sci-Fi Channel.

8. Andre:S

Andre:S Auditioning

It is important to say that the picture quality will be excellent as the
    restoration of the Thriller serie has been done by BBC Ressources who
    are expert for it. Also for all US lovers of movie of mystery,suspense and
    horror it is important to remember that the series Thriller has been dis-
    tributed by ITC Entertainment across the USA as tv movies during all
    the 80s and beginning of 90s.

Many persons has certainly watch an episode of Thriller during late night
    movie.Now you have the original as it was broadcasted in the U.K
    This serie will without a doubt bring you great hours of viewing and
    entertainment.Buy it you will enjoy very much Thriller!

9. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Supporting Actor

Bob Gudera
    DVDWatcher,Wade, thanks for the THRILLER fan site link. I was able to identify one episode that I remembered, 'Where The Action Is', because Edd"Kookie"Byrnes and Ingrid Pitt were in it. I still remember the surprise ending.

The fan site also mentioned a couple of the U.S. produced episodes. I don't believe the U.S. produced episodes,also shot on video tape, were ever syndicated. They really are lost and forgotten TV.

10. Mark Collins

Mark Collins Cinematographer

Mark
    The show was indeed part of ABC wide world of entertainment. Dan Curtis Dick Cavett I am looking for Peyton Place Revisted which also aired under this umbrella. Not to be confused with the two Theatrical Movies of the two made for tv sequils

11. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Sadly, the link to Black Nun's site is now dead. Has it moved somewhere? I really wanted to read that episode list.