What's new

ABC develops Geico Cavemen sitcom (1 Viewer)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
What's funny about that comment is that wasn't there an SNL skit a few years back where Phil Hartman played a caveman lawyer?

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> What's funny about that comment is that wasn't there an SNL skit a few years back where Phil Hartman played a caveman lawyer?

Yeah, one of the best recurring characters ever: Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer.

But it's hard to say how well it would have worked expanded to a half hour.

I wonder how this new show will explain how the cavemen got to the modern era.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Just when I thought "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?" was the worst idea for a TV show ever, this disaster is announced. :thumbsdown:

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

Speak for yourself. "I'll have the roast duck with mango salsa." "And I'm not hungry." Brilliant.

I hope they get Talia Shire to reprise her role as the psychiatrist.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
"It's my mother. I'll put her on speakerphone."

:)

And am I the only one who remembers It's About Time, the time-travel sitcom from Gilligan's Island creator Sherwood Schwartz? This one-season wonder debuted in the fall of 1966 and was originally about two astronauts who travelled faster-than-light and ended up back in the days of the cavemen. When ratings proved disappointing by the half-season mark they revamped the show and had the astronauts return to the 1960s with the caveman family they had befriended in tow. So not only did they anticipate the Unfrozen Cavement Lawyer sketch and the Geico ads by 40 years, in a way they blazed the trail for Escape from the Planet of the Apes. ;)

The show had a better cast than the premise warranted, including upcoming and veteran comedy talents like Herb Edelman, Joe E. Ross and Iomgene Coca. (Coca played a cavewoman called "Shadd". In the pilot she was called "Shagg". The name was changed for the regular episodes when someone told Schwartz what "shag" meant in British slang, but the pilot was left intact. There probably wasn't the time or money to fix it, or Schwartz decided it would too distracting if every use of her name in the pilot was obviously dubbed. And dubs were almost always obvious given the technology of the time.)

This is one of those 60s shows whose theme song still rattles around in my head...

"It's about time
It's about space
About two men
in the strangest place
It's about time,
Cavemen, too.
About a time
When the Earth was new..."

Regards,

Joe

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The first was a riot. The delivery of "I don't have much of an appetite" just kills me.

But the rest got increasingly lamer. I would quit while I was ahead.

--
H

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
There were a couple before that. One of them showed a caveman playing a baby grand while the Geico ad aired. Another had a caveman working on the set when the commercial was made:

"So easy, a caveman can do it!"

"WHAT? NOT COOL!"

"Sorry! I didn't know you were here!"

I like some of the newer ones. The airport people mover, with the Norwegian song playing, is one of the best. Oh, yeah, and the Bill O'Reilly parody. That guy nails BOR's mannerism and speaking style.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've loved these commercials. "I'll put her on speaker" always cracks me up. Chances are, the sitcom will be a bust, but I think its worth a try, it could be brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks