What's new

ABC Dancing With The Stars Season 29 (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
ABC has decided to change the course of the dance competition show in a new creative direction for DWTS and season 29 will have new hosts. Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews will not return, they were not asked to come back.

i think the series has lost its luster in the last couple of seasons and hasn’t been as compelling. It could be its run its course. It could be the stars they’ve invited and of course the departure of many of the Pro dancers has eroded fan interest.

i think this a mistake as Bergeron has been the solid and consistent host that fans rely on seeing. His departure is a mistake. But who knows, if they are re-tooling the show to attract new viewers maybe this will work. But I think it will alienate a lot of fans. No word on the judges yet whether they will change too.

It will also be interesting how the new season will deal with Covid 19 and keep everyone safe. I’ll tune in to see, but I don’t like this news.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Tyra Banks is reportedly going to be announced as the new host Wednesday morning on Good Morning America.

Erin Andrews will not return either.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think ABC is greatly underestimating how important Tom Bergeron is to the success of the show.

Whatever buzz they get from announcing a flashy new host will be shortlived, while the loss of Bergeron will lose the show viewers over the long term.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
A total bummer I've been a fan of Tom Bergeron since hollywood squares in the late 90s
I even go back further to the days when Tom hosted "Breakfast Time" on the original F/X network lineup. The best morning show ever until the Fox network grabbed the show and re-tooled it destroying its quirky nature. Look up the show on YouTube.

GlennC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn
This really is pathetic. Tom Bergeron was the person that was the heart and soul of DWTS.

His ability to ad-lib was exceptional and is needed for a live show where you have to deal with anything.

I think the producers and ABC will live to regret this dumb move.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The Pro’s for this new Covid season was announced. Many pro’s from previous seasons are returning, some are sitting it out to have babies and there are two new pros.

Brandon Armstrong
Cheryl Burke
Val Chmerkovskiy
Sasha Farber
Jenna Johnson
Keo Motsepe
Peta Murgatroyd
Pasha Pashkov
Gleb Savchenko
Emma Slater
Daniella Karagach
Britt Stewart

It looks like a lot of popular pros returning. Some of these pros are married to each other and the new rules require they live apart during the show to keep everyone safe.

i don’t usually follow what the pros are doing outside of the show, so I did t k ow Derek Hough is a judge on another dance show on another network. It’s starting it’s third season so that would explain his no longer being a pro on DWTS. Seeing a promo of the show he’s on now gave me a sense of what the other dance shows are like. It gave me a sense of what ABC might have in mind to remake DWST with the new host. But it seems it’s trying to be what it’s not.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The new cast was revealed recently for the new season, but some might find the news revealed today to be bigger. Derek Hough will return, but as a judge. I don’t watch the other dance shows and it was a month or two ago I saw Derek promoting the new season of another dance show and I saw he’s a judge there. I didn’t know that. So I see he will have two dancing show gigs this year.

just from looking at the promos for the show, it does feel different. The Tyra Banks promos feel different naturally and she’s going to bring her personality to it. I figure ABC really wanted to give the show an edge perhaps. But it mightnbe too much to the fans. I guess we will see next week.

The new cast is:
  • head coach Monica Aldama (Cheer)
  • animal activist Carole Baskin (Tiger King)
  • Kaitlyn Bristowe (The Bachelor, The Bachelorette)
  • Super Bowl Champion Vernon Davis
  • TV and film actress Anne Heche
  • Disney Channel actress Skai Jackson
  • actress Justina Machado (One Day at a Time)
  • Backstreet Boys singer AJ McLean
  • Emmy-winning host of The Real and sideline correspondent on Holey Moley, Jeannie Mai
  • TV and film actor Jesse Metcalfe
  • Grammy-winning rapper Nelly
  • TV host Nev Schulman (Catfish)
  • NBA superstar Charles Oakley (The Last Dance)
  • actress Chrishell Stause (Selling Sunset)
  • Olympic figure skater and on-air commentator Johnny Weir

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My wife was an absolutely devoted fan until a couple of years ago. First it was the "tiny talent edition" (ug!), which we skipped, then a couple of years ago it turned into a popularly contest when someone was voted the winner who had almost no dancing ability over really great contestants who did. We haven't watched it since.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
So far watched the first 30 minutes and the show seems similar to the past. No Len as he could not travel because of the virus. So three judges. Tara is not trying to take over the show which is one thing I thought she might do. That’s just based on the promos, I’ve never seen her host other shows. The main thing that I felt was bad was there is no audience, so why the fake cheering and audience sounds? I suppose if there wasn’t any of that, it would sound odd. I watched a little bit of a basketball game with no audience and it did sounded odd just hearing the players and the sounds from the court.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This episode was brutally mediocre.
Tyra, not Tara is not a good host.
She’s okay as an extra host or whatever she was doing on AGT but as a full host, no.
No charisma.
Tom Bergeron Was exactly right for this kind of show.
Also thought that Erin Andrews was a great cohost and had great chemstry with Tom and the participants.

I didn’t see it addressed but I wonder if the Pros and the partners quarantined for the show.
Plus Carol Baskins has no place on this show.
She was weird and awkward.
Either she ignored or couldn’t hear Tyra because she didn’t respond to her questions after the dance.

We usually know who all the partners are but this year I don’t know who at least 4 of them are.

The woman from the bachelorette was unrecognizable.
Tons of facial surgery and change of hair color.

She wasn’t a classic beauty before but she was a very attractive woman.
Don’t know why she got work done at all.
If you did a side by side I don’t know if I could tell they are the same person..

It’s a shame people do this to themselves.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Due to Tom Bergeron's absence I was not expecting that much from the show, however I still was expecting it to be its usual techically well-produced self.

Instead the entire 2 hour production came across with high school A/V club quality, complete with oddly-varying sound quality, poor camera movements (at least one especially out-of-focus balcony shot), the endless, awful recorded applause/boos soundtrack and of course Tyra's many botched teleprompter readings.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Tyra, not Tara is not a good host.

It must have been the spell check! ha, ha!

I saw the entire broadcast. I noticed another aspect of the show that is changed, at least for this week. Without Erin Andrews, there’s no one to interview the dancing team after their dance before they get their scores. Of course it’s likely not being done because of Covid. And in the early years of this show, they didn’t do the interviews as I recall.

Agreed the audio quality was way off! The fake applause was too high at times so it was hard to hear Tyra‘s comments.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It looks like the budget got halved (they can't even afford hair dye for Bruno). The fake audience reaction audio is just terrible, even the fake boo-ing being piped in. It's always why I don't like watching pro sports at the moment. Just let these events breathe on their own merits. I watched it while working from home, so I don't feel like I was wasting that much time watching it...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The finale aired last night and I was surprised who took the mirrorball. I was also surprised several of the strong dancers left such as Johnny Weir left early. And it looked like Nev Schulman was going to take it. But I can see it was the viewer votes too that helped Kaitlyn Bristowe win. It was good for Artem Chigvintsev for his first win.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks