What's new

Abbott & Costello (1 Viewer)

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
I've been an Abbott & Costello fan kid since I was a kid. Last Christmas, I recieved A&C Meet Frankenstein and A&C Meet the Mummy DVDs as gifts. I love both films, though their Frankenstein movie is superior to the Mummy. I've been hoping that more A&C movies would get released on DVD, particularly:

1) A&C Meet The Invisible Man
2) A&C Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
3) A&C Meet Captain Kidd
4) The Time of Their Lives

Any idea if any of these will ever be released on DVD?

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
The two you received are great discs. :emoji_thumbsup: I believe both were released in conjunction with Classic Monster "waves," all of which have been discontinued in Region 1 by Universal (I think the A&C titles, which are not "officially" part of the Classic Monster series, despite the proximity of their releases, are still available at most e-tailers). Speculation (no word yet from the studio) is that a new wave of Classic Monster discs (and possibly reissues of the old releases) will accompany the release of Stephen Sommers' Van Helsing next year. If this comes to pass, I'd expect we'll see more A&C at the same time, hopefully in the full special edition spirit of ... Meet Frankenstein (commentary, documentary, etc.). The sooner the better!

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
I hope Universal do eventually release the rest of the "Abbott & Costello meets..." films. I haven't seen the A & C meet Dr. Jekyll and Hyde and A & C meet The Invisible Man in about 15-20 years! But I remember that I loved those movies when I was growing up. :)

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
Abbott & Costello movies on DVD:
Buck Privates (1941) [OOP]
In The Navy (1941) [OOP]
Buck Privates Come Home (1947) [OOP]
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
Africa Screams (1949)[public domain DVDs/multiple sellers]
Abbott & Costello in the Foreign Legion (1950)[OOP]
Jack & the Beanstalk (1952) [public domain DVDs/multiple sellers]
Abbott & Costello Meet the Mummy (1955)
The Abbott & Costello Show (1952-53)[several volumes]

Abbott & Costello movies not yet on DVD:
One Night in the Tropics (1940)
Hold That Ghost (1941)
Keep 'Em Flying (1941)
Ride 'Em Cowboy (1942)
Rio Rita (1942)
Pardon My Sarong (1942)
Who Done It? (1942)
It Ain't Hay (1943)
Hit The Ice (1943)
In Society (1944)
Lost In A Harem (1944)
Here Come the Co-Eds (1945)
The Naughty Nineties (1945)
Abbott & Costello in Hollywood (1945)
Little Giant (1946)
The Time of Their Lives (1946)
The Wistful Widow of Wagon Gap (1947)
The Noose Hangs High (1948)
Mexican Hayride (1948)
Abbott & Costello Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff (1949)
Abbott & Costello Meet the Invisible Man (1951)
Comin' Round the Mountain (1951)
Lost in Alaska (1952)
Abbott & Costello Meet Captain Kidd (1952) (not on VHS either)
Abbott & Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1953)
Abbott & Costello Go to Mars (1953)
Abbott & Costello Meet the Keystone Kops (1955)
Dance with Me Henry (1956)

Most of the non-DVD titles can be found on VHS, although many of them are also OOP. Fortunately TCM occasionally shows some of them. There was an A&C marathon this last January 1st (called "Who's on the First?") which featured many of their best titles, including some not seen in many years.

A comprehensive box set of the Universal & MGM A&C titles should be made available, concentrating on their 1940s films.

Peter Scarfe

Auditioning
Hold that Ghost! Why hasn't this been released? This is my favourite A & C movie. I would love to see a box set of A & C's unreleased movies with some decent special features!

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
I will gladly buy the A&C DVDs even if it had no extras. I just want a chance to own some of my favorite A&C movies on DVD.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Great thread guys! I too have enjoyed Abbott & Costello movies for years. This is what I call the real "Old School" kind of comedy that nobody seems to know how to do anymore. Well, maybe Jim Carrey sometimes... Anyway, The Andrews Sisters did a number of movies with them back then and I'd like to see if any of those are on dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks