What's new

Abbott and Costello vol. 4? (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Bud & Lou have been my favorite comedy team for my entire life, so I'm definitely getting Volume 4. Like a dummy, I ordered mine from DDD, and they are notorious for slow shipping (unless you upgrade, and I didn't). On this one occasion though, I should have waited and bought this in a store. In the event Universal strikes again with poor disks, I'm gonna have to contend with an even longer wait because DDD isn't the easiest store to deal with when it comes to returns (Amazon.com is tops in that department).

Oh well, I'm anxiously awaiting my set (checking the mail each day thinking it will show up, but it still hasn't).

Gary "I too bemoan the fact that Universal and the Runyan estate couldn't get their act together" O.

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Quick question,

Did anyone receive a "A&C DVD Insert" with their Volume 4 set?

The previous three sets all included an insert with a short synopsis of the films, plus let us know what film was on what disc.

Unfortunately, all I got with my Volume 4 set was a small TCM booklet… no
"real" insert.

Please let me know whether or not you folks got an insert, so I know whether or not to try and exchange my copy and/or bitch to Universal.

Many thanks in advance for the info!

steve blake

Stunt Coordinator
jeff,you got an insert with volume 2?.I have all three volumes and there wasnt an insert for volume 2.I just thought that for some reason universal didnt provide an insert for vol 2.

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, John… looks like someone got lazy this time around (or Universal didn't want the spend the extra penny for an insert).

Steve, let me check here just to be sure… Yes, my Vol. 2 definitely came with an insert -- two inserts, in fact. One was the standard DVD insert (exact same layout as Vol. 1 & 3; the other was one of Universal's "Buy Our Other DVDs" ad promo inserts (whoopee).

Paul Mazz

Grip
I have the first three volumes, and love them. I needed to return one to get a copy that did not freeze.

Unfortuneately I cannot seem to find a copy of volume 4 that works in my Toshiba sd5700. I have tried three different copies without any luck. It does work in another player, but I don't really want to change players for one dvd. Any ideas, or possible explanations?

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
I did get V4. Both disks played fine on my system. One thing I found amusing was that on A&C Meet the Mummy, even though both A&C had stage names listed for them in the credits, they referred to themselves as "Abbott," "Costello," or "Lou" throughout the movie.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
OK, i figure instead of opening a new thead for my questions ill just post them in this old one.This week i ordered abbott and costello volume 3 from amazon, there was a rumour more than a year ago that on this set some copies were accidentally printed with meets boris karloff twice, and it leaves off my favorite meets frankenstein.I hope when i recieve mine this week thats not the case.Can anyone tell me if that happened to them ? Also, are these on the same kind of double dvds that universal uses for shows like leave it to beaver, or are they even worse than those ?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I've never heard of anyone mentioning a problem with Volume 3 similar to what you've brought up. So I wouldn't worry about not getting "Meet Frankenstein." I'm sure that won't be an issue. That doesn't mean you won't get a defective disc, because these are the notorious DVD-18's. Same as LITB. But I've never had any serious problems playing any of these type discs. Don't get me wrong, I'd much prefer to have single-sided discs for any set. But I haven't had the major headaches that some people have complained about.

Gary "can't wait for the MGM Abbott & Costello films to be released in another couple of months" O.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Thanks Gary, back when i got beaver season 1 since i knew that over time these discs would become even worse, i figured id back them up on dvd-r , and sure enough half of the original season 1 discs dont play anymore. Ill probably do the same with abbott and costello , after all we are allowed to backup what we buy once .We wouldnt have to go through this if universal starts putting everything on single sided discs.By the way, the beaver backups work flawlessly,of course i didnt take any chances and backed them up on day 1 that i got beaver season 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks