1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Abbey Road Super Deluxe September 27 2019

Discussion in 'Music' started by Wayne_j, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Also I just successfully ripped CD 1 using EAC (just to see if I experienced what the Steve Hoffman forums folks are reporting).

Brian L likes this.
  2. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    EAC had an error 15 seconds into The End.

3. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    I ejected the disc, put it back in and ripped just The End with EAC. It worked that time.

4. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    I had a similar issue with disc 2. Disc 3 worked no problem the first time. I will listen to the rips tonight to make sure they all came out OK. There definitely are issues with these discs.

Brian L likes this.
  5. Carlo Medina

My money is on some form of copy protection.

MielR likes this.
  6. Brian L

Brian L Producer

On the 24/96 stereo track of the BluRay, anyone hearing a very slight "click" at exactly 2:25 of Sun King, just before the transition to Mean Mr. Mustard?

I was doing some testing to try to help sort a reported gap issue between tracks during the Side 2 medley, and while I have yet to hear a gap when playing back the 24/96 rip in either FLAC or ALAC using JRiver, I do note a click just before the transition of SK to MMM.

For comparison, I played the rip I made of the CD of the remix, and the click is not there. Since I have two copies of the BluRay, one from Bullmoose, and one from Amazon.ca, I did a completely new back-up and rip of the Canuck BluRay using the same methodologies.

The click is present on both, so either it is baked in, or an artifact of the back-up/rip process. Later today I will actually play the stereo mix from the disc over my Oppo 203 to see if it is audible when played back over a proper BR machine.

This set is the gift that keeps on giving I am afraid, and in some cases, they aren't the gifts we were looking for. If this level of analysis had been applied to the Zapruder films, the Kennedy assassination would have been solved immediately.

7. Carlo Medina

Sorry I haven't had time to catch up in those SH threads (they get very long, quickly). Are the errors only off of the rips or also in the master discs? I ask, because if the discs play fine, and it's only on ripped files (or during the attempt to rip them), then my mind does immediately go to some form of copy protection, versus a disc defect. If it's on the master discs, i.e. clearly audible when playing the original disc on your system, then there is a defective batch issue.

What's ironic is that now I have discovered a second 4K disc that I have to request a replacement for. The first was Stand By Me. The second now is Finding Nemo. I have a huge batch of 4K discs still in shrink wrap, and I wonder how many of those will prove defective once I get around to watching them, but are already out of return policy, from either Best Buy or Amazon. Ugh. But had data integrity issues (i.e. the image would flicker/freeze in the exact same spot, repeatable on different brands of 4K players). The SBM replacement was fine. Nemo replacement arrives tomorrow.

8. Brian L

Brian L Producer

I have not tried to play the actual CDs yet, but I have played the Atmos mix on the BR. No apparent problem there.

My next step is to see if I hear the "click" I mentioned in my rips but when playing the hirez stereo mix from the actual BR.

One thing I did try with the remix CD is to make a digital dub to my antique Pioneer CD-R deck. That worked fine. I know that actual CD players had pretty decent error correction built in, so it may mean nothing that my source deck (Denon 3910) did not choke in the CD when making the dub.

It is somewhat interesting to me that if those reporting issues ripping, there does not seem to be any consistency in terms of the track or tracks. And I have seen myself that if I try to re-rip the same disc more than once, I get different results in terms of re-reads.

9. Brian L

Brian L Producer

No click when playing from the disc. But wait....a poster at SHF who also does not hear it when playing the disc via his Oppo 205, said that the click appears at the exact same spot on the HDT download.

And now I’ve gone crosseyed.....

10. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

I have read a few reviews online that are saying the 5.1 remix is phenomenal.

Both of my favorite songs from The Beatles "Here comes the Sun" , and "Something" (both written by George Harrison) are on this album. I might pick it up.

Brent Reid and Brian L like this.
  11. Message #71 of 74 Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    filper

filper Auditioning

Phil
    I purchased a resale copy of the Blu Ray only and the single CD release. The PCM Stereo track on the Blu Ray is exemplary, much smoother on the ears than the CD. The Atmos track is a full use of every channel and has a complimentary use of the height channels. Martin did a terrific job on this. I will comment on the 5.1 track after i play it a few times.

12. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Oh man. I forgot this release had an Atmos track. I thought it was just 5.1.

I'm graduating to an Atmos system this week!

I haven't cracked open my Amazon box yet. Soon. Real soon.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  13. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Gotta make sure all of that equipment works before the return period is up! :D

14. Marsh

Marsh Stunt Coordinator

Marshall Fish
    Mike Frezon and TravisR like this.