What's new

Abbey Road Super Deluxe September 27 2019 (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Also I just successfully ripped CD 1 using EAC (just to see if I experienced what the Steve Hoffman forums folks are reporting).

- CUETools DB Plugin V2.1.6 -

[CTDB TOCID: wx83FniMX1VxiTDe_iZCb7.lUFk-] found
Submit result: wx83FniMX1VxiTDe_iZCb7.lUFk- has been confirmed
Track | CTDB Status
1 | (322/323) Accurately ripped
2 | (322/323) Accurately ripped
3 | (322/323) Accurately ripped
4 | (322/323) Accurately ripped
5 | (322/323) Accurately ripped
6 | (322/323) Accurately ripped
7 | (321/323) Accurately ripped
8 | (322/323) Accurately ripped
9 | (321/323) Accurately ripped
10 | (320/323) Accurately ripped
11 | (321/323) Accurately ripped
12 | (322/323) Accurately ripped
13 | (321/323) Accurately ripped
14 | (321/323) Accurately ripped
15 | (321/323) Accurately ripped
16 | (320/323) Accurately ripped
17 | (320/323) Accurately ripped

Selected range
Peak level 98.9 %
Range quality 100.0 %
Copy CRC FF73E2BE
Copy OK

No errors occurred

End of status report

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I ejected the disc, put it back in and ripped just The End with EAC. It worked that time.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I had a similar issue with disc 2. Disc 3 worked no problem the first time. I will listen to the rips tonight to make sure they all came out OK. There definitely are issues with these discs.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
On the 24/96 stereo track of the BluRay, anyone hearing a very slight "click" at exactly 2:25 of Sun King, just before the transition to Mean Mr. Mustard?

I was doing some testing to try to help sort a reported gap issue between tracks during the Side 2 medley, and while I have yet to hear a gap when playing back the 24/96 rip in either FLAC or ALAC using JRiver, I do note a click just before the transition of SK to MMM.

For comparison, I played the rip I made of the CD of the remix, and the click is not there. Since I have two copies of the BluRay, one from Bullmoose, and one from Amazon.ca, I did a completely new back-up and rip of the Canuck BluRay using the same methodologies.

The click is present on both, so either it is baked in, or an artifact of the back-up/rip process. Later today I will actually play the stereo mix from the disc over my Oppo 203 to see if it is audible when played back over a proper BR machine.

This set is the gift that keeps on giving I am afraid, and in some cases, they aren't the gifts we were looking for. If this level of analysis had been applied to the Zapruder films, the Kennedy assassination would have been solved immediately.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sorry I haven't had time to catch up in those SH threads (they get very long, quickly). Are the errors only off of the rips or also in the master discs? I ask, because if the discs play fine, and it's only on ripped files (or during the attempt to rip them), then my mind does immediately go to some form of copy protection, versus a disc defect. If it's on the master discs, i.e. clearly audible when playing the original disc on your system, then there is a defective batch issue.

What's ironic is that now I have discovered a second 4K disc that I have to request a replacement for. The first was Stand By Me. The second now is Finding Nemo. I have a huge batch of 4K discs still in shrink wrap, and I wonder how many of those will prove defective once I get around to watching them, but are already out of return policy, from either Best Buy or Amazon. Ugh. But had data integrity issues (i.e. the image would flicker/freeze in the exact same spot, repeatable on different brands of 4K players). The SBM replacement was fine. Nemo replacement arrives tomorrow.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Sorry I haven't had time to catch up in those SH threads (they get very long, quickly). Are the errors only off of the rips or also in the master discs? I ask, because if the discs play fine, and it's only on ripped files (or during the attempt to rip them), then my mind does immediately go to some form of copy protection, versus a disc defect. If it's on the master discs, i.e. clearly audible when playing the original disc on your system, then there is a defective batch issue.

What's ironic is that now I have discovered a second 4K disc that I have to request a replacement for. The first was Stand By Me. The second now is Finding Nemo. I have a huge batch of 4K discs still in shrink wrap, and I wonder how many of those will prove defective once I get around to watching them, but are already out of return policy, from either Best Buy or Amazon. Ugh. But had data integrity issues (i.e. the image would flicker/freeze in the exact same spot, repeatable on different brands of 4K players). The SBM replacement was fine. Nemo replacement arrives tomorrow.

I have not tried to play the actual CDs yet, but I have played the Atmos mix on the BR. No apparent problem there.

My next step is to see if I hear the "click" I mentioned in my rips but when playing the hirez stereo mix from the actual BR.

One thing I did try with the remix CD is to make a digital dub to my antique Pioneer CD-R deck. That worked fine. I know that actual CD players had pretty decent error correction built in, so it may mean nothing that my source deck (Denon 3910) did not choke in the CD when making the dub.

It is somewhat interesting to me that if those reporting issues ripping, there does not seem to be any consistency in terms of the track or tracks. And I have seen myself that if I try to re-rip the same disc more than once, I get different results in terms of re-reads.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I have not tried to play the actual CDs yet, but I have played the Atmos mix on the BR. No apparent problem there.

My next step is to see if I hear the "click" I mentioned in my rips but when playing the hirez stereo mix from the actual BR.

One thing I did try with the remix CD is to make a digital dub to my antique Pioneer CD-R deck. That worked fine. I know that actual CD players had pretty decent error correction built in, so it may mean nothing that my source deck (Denon 3910) did not choke in the CD when making the dub.

It is somewhat interesting to me that if those reporting issues ripping, there does not seem to be any consistency in terms of the track or tracks. And I have seen myself that if I try to re-rip the same disc more than once, I get different results in terms of re-reads.

No click when playing from the disc. But wait....a poster at SHF who also does not hear it when playing the disc via his Oppo 205, said that the click appears at the exact same spot on the HDT download.

And now I’ve gone crosseyed.....

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I have read a few reviews online that are saying the 5.1 remix is phenomenal.

Both of my favorite songs from The Beatles "Here comes the Sun" , and "Something" (both written by George Harrison) are on this album. I might pick it up.

filper

Agent
Real Name
Phil
I purchased a resale copy of the Blu Ray only and the single CD release. The PCM Stereo track on the Blu Ray is exemplary, much smoother on the ears than the CD. The Atmos track is a full use of every channel and has a complimentary use of the height channels. Martin did a terrific job on this. I will comment on the 5.1 track after i play it a few times.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh man. I forgot this release had an Atmos track. I thought it was just 5.1.

I'm graduating to an Atmos system this week!

I haven't cracked open my Amazon box yet. Soon. Real soon.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Gotta make sure all of that equipment works before the return period is up! :D

Marsh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall Fish

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Semi-off topic but how hard to find is the Beatles In Mono vinyl set? I saw it at an FYE for $150 today and it's out of print and (a presumably ridiculous) $1100 on Amazon but I assume $150 must be a helluva deal, right?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
It is a good deal. If I didn't own it already I'd buy it (assuming it's a legit and not a counterfeit...which I understand is a thing but I don't know how to tell original from counterfeit).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It is a good deal. If I didn't own it already I'd buy it (assuming it's a legit and not a counterfeit...which I understand is a thing but I don't know how to tell original from counterfeit).
People can counterfeit records? I mean I'm sure it can be done but I didn't think it was a 'normal' thing in the vinyl world like it is with discs.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
People can counterfeit records? I mean I'm sure it can be done but I didn't think it was a 'normal' thing in the vinyl world like it is with discs.

Apparently so - https://www.ft.com/content/9c31b692-6f2f-11e9-bbfb-5c68069fbd15

I've seen people post about buying counterfeit ones before. It's hard for an online site, particularly with both used and new things being sold to vet every single seller. Not an issue for me as I'm 100% file playback and a good percentage of what I buy are downloads from either mainstream sites or independent small labels (e.g. https://www.soundliaison.com/). I bought the Abbey Road download on HDTracks. Sounds really good. I'll buy physical media at this point if there are either no alternatives or the best version available is only on disc.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Semi-off topic but how hard to find is the Beatles In Mono vinyl set? I saw it at an FYE for $150 today and it's out of print and (a presumably ridiculous) $1100 on Amazon but I assume $150 must be a helluva deal, right?

If it's $150 at FYE and $1100 at Amazon, then don't hesitate and get it at FYE. At those prices, you might as well get two and sell the other on eBay to earn your money back. Now I know what Max Bialystock meant in The Producers by "he who hesitates is poor." You'll be even poorer if you wait until the more expensive source becomes the only one.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

The vinyl set is $1,150 and up, and that's for used copies. New copies of the CD set are $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks