1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Abbey Road Super Deluxe September 27 2019

Discussion in 'Music' started by Wayne_j, Aug 8, 2019.

1. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    The worse of "stereo" on the really old american Beatles albums I have from back in the day, sounded like the "original mono" was split into low frequencies which were dumped into one speaker, while the mids + treble were dumped into the other speaker.

Basically a passive crossover filter circuit done on the cheap.

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Thanks for the reply! All of that makes sense but I hadn't even thought of the idea of remixing any of the other records to 5.1. I'm no audiophile but other than Revolver, I can't imagine them really benefiting from that.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  3. Brian L

Brian L Producer

Not to harsh anyone’s mellow, but there are some issues with the CDs in the SDE, if you try to rip them.

If your ripper does not do secure ripping, such as iTunes, you may not notice an issue, but if you use a secure ripper such as dBpoweramp or JRiver, you will find that there appear to be some bad sectors, some of which are unrecoverable.

Lots of reports of this at Steve Hoffman Forums, and I am seeing it myself on all three CDs. I was able to get good rips on two of the three after several attempts.

My copy came from Bullmoose of Maine. I actually have a second set coming from Amazon Canada due next Friday. I got lucky and ordered when the SDE was listed for $35 Canadian. They honored that price. I will check those discs when the set arrives.

I would also say that while ripping is a problem, I have not tried to actually play the discs, so I can’t say if the bad sectors produce anything audible.

jcroy likes this.
  4. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    (On a tangent).

With the decline of the audio cd format over the past decade or so, I feared something like this would eventually become commonplace as time went on.

If this problem is infesting recent Beatles cds which would be definitely be catering to the hardcore collectors audience, then I have to wonder what the Universal/Warner/Sony attitudes will be for everything else they still release on cd.

Fortunately my 3-cd copy of The White Album didn't have any disc defect problems which drastically affected ripping in secure mode.

Brian L likes this.
  5. Message #45 of 82 Sep 29, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Brian L

Brian L Producer

I had no issues with the CDs in my TWA and Pepper SDE's, fortunately.

And to go further down the rabbit hole, I was eventually able to get a secure rip of the stereo remix CD. When I compared that to the hirez rip from the BR, I note that the Dynamic Range is different be about 2dB per track and the peak levels are somewhat different. That means that the mastering is different.

A 2dB difference in DR may or may not be something I would notice in actual listening, but the trend has been to dynamically compress music, and the fact that the CD is more compressed is disappointing. There is no reason a CD and a hirez copy could not have the exact same mastering.

Anyone reading this wondering, "what the heck is he taking about", just Goggle "The Loudness War". Or don't if you want to continue to enjoy your music. :)

jcroy likes this.
  6. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    The only reason I even picked up the 3-cd White Album re-release, was that I seemed to have given away my old original cd from the 80s. (Or somebody stole it).

Otherwise I still listen to my old Beatles cds from back in the day which didn't have any drastic loudness/compression issues.

Brian L likes this.
  7. Message #47 of 82 Sep 29, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    Some problems with the blu-ray (loading, freezing, etc.) are being reported. Anybody here having issues?

That is truly awful! :laugh: It sounds more like a rehearsal than an actual take. Abbey Road is my favorite Beatles album and "Oh! Darling" is one of my favorite songs, and I can honestly say that I have no desire to ever hear that version again.

8. Mike2001

Mike2001 Supporting Actor

Mike
    My blu-ray played fine. I listened to the 5.1 Master Audio mix.

9. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Serious question - how does Octopus’s Garden sound in 5.1?

TravisR likes this.
  10. Brian L

Brian L Producer

Lots of problems with the BluRay reported at Steve Hoffman Forums. That and the issues ripping the CDs suggest that are some serious QC issues with these sets.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/abbey-road-blu-ray-issues.884738/

MielR likes this.
  11. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    It appears this abbey road set and my 3-disc White Album set were manufactured by Optimal in Germany (EU). Optimal in the EU has IFPI code 97**

My 3-cd WA discs have IFPI code 97** where ** are alphanumeric characters. (The IFPI code are stamped in the first transparent ring from the center of the disc).

Blah. Another disc manufacturer on my blacklist to avoid. (For example, the main reason I never jump onto the 4Kbluray bandwagon was when I first heard that Sonopress was manufacturing 4Kbluray uhd discs. Sonopress had a poor track record of manufacturing defective bluray discs which "bronzed" after a period of time).

12. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Now you all have me paranoid. I'm going to have to spin this tonight on multiple systems to confirm I don't have a defect. Oh no, a night filled with Abbey Road music testing...First World Problems...:laugh:

Seriously though, gonna be bummed if it's defective. Come on people, we've been pressing discs for decades now. Shouldn't be hard to get good QC going, especially on flagship, high-dollar releases like this one.

Brian L likes this.
  13. Carlo Medina

So far, listening to Atmos on Oppo BDP-203, no problems through Oh! Darling...fingers crossed.

I see on that thread some are having problems even loading, so I've at least passed that barrier...

14. Carlo Medina

So far...amazing. I don't think it will change anyone's mind who disliked the song. But I will say I went from relatively ambivalent, to actually finding the Atmos mix interesting.

TravisR and Josh Steinberg like this.
  15. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Cinematographer

Chris
    My LPs play flawlessly...:D

TravisR likes this.
  16. Carlo Medina

So I made it all the way thru the atmos mix successfully. Do I have to check all three versions? (Hi Res stereo and 5.1)

17. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Producer

Wayne
    I have also listened to all three mixes on the Blu-Ray and to all three CDs. So all my discs at least play correctly. I haven't tried ripping them yet.

18. Message #58 of 82 Sep 30, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Carlo Medina

Finished the DTS-HD Master with no issues. Halfway through the DTS HD Master version, so far, so good. I'll try ripping the CDs later on my MBP.

I will say this: you haven't truly heard the orchestral movement at the end of...The End...until you've heard it in either the DTS-HD or Atmos versions. I got emotional both times it happened.

Brian L likes this.
  19. Brian L

Brian L Producer

Roger that!

I gave the Atmos mix a proper listen at the proper volume, and cried like a damn baby through the whole thing. Glad no one was home. My wife would have thought someone I knew had died suddenly.

Todd Mattraw and Carlo Medina like this.
  20. Carlo Medina

Glad I'm not the only one. I think that song speaks so well to the fact that we all have weights we're carrying. And then the uplifting message at the end...priceless.

Oddly enough, something about "is equal to the..." makes Siri say "mm hmm?" every time I play it. Has happened 3X now.