"ABBA-Super Troupers" (A Member Review)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by EricSchulz, Jan 27, 2005.

1. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

ABBA has been one of my favorite groups for thirty years now (yup, right from the first time I heard "Waterloo" on WLS-AM in Chicago!), so I was anxiously awaiting this DVD. Here's a mini-review of it for those that are thinking about purchasing it, or may not have known about its release.

ABBA: Super Troupers (2004)
    Universal Music
    89mins (plus extras)
    Audio: 2 Channel Dolby Stereo/5.1 Surround
    Subtitles: English, Spanish, Brazilian, Portugese, Japanese
    Color/B&W
    List: $14.98

This DVD is a trip down memory lane for ABBA fans everywhere! The documentary (which I believe was originally a BBC-TV special) centers on the group's trip to London for the fifth anniversary show of "Mamma Mia" which also marked the thirtieth anniversary of their winning the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest with "Waterloo". Through new and old interviews, TV and film clips we get to see and feel what they are remembering. For American ABBA fans, many of these clips have never been shown before: Frida singing "Baby Love" in her first TV appearance (and in Swedish, no less!), Agnetha and Frida recording a demo of "Dancing Queen" with alternate lyrics and many extended sequences from ABBA- The Movie, in glorious widescreen! The movie pretty much follows a roughly chronological path, covering their early and solo careers, the beginnings of the group (and its demise) and the relationships that fueled many of the groups lyrics.

The new interviews are bittersweet: after watching this, you will realize that there is no possibility of them ever reforming again. They all have seemed to move on to other things and while they all seem to cherish the time that they were together, they seem content with leaving it that way and letting the music carry on their memory.

I saw ABBA in Milwaukee on their only US tour, so many of the live clips brought back great memories of the show. But it was the clips from ABBA- The Movie that were REALLY gratifying. Songs like "I'm A Marionette" (a personal favorite) were not part of the later US tour, and looking back on these performances, it shows what a really great live band they were. Many of the songs have more of an edge than the studio versions, yet are still as full as the original recordings.

I thoroughly enjoyed this documentary (although host Pete Waterman can be a little over-the-top at times) and would highly recommend it to ABBA fans.

The bonus features include new interviews with Frida and Bjorn (which are excerpted in the doc) and the closing finale of the anniversary edition of "Mamma Mia", although there are some cuts to the backstage reactions that could have been omitted.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Thanks for the review, Eric. I think I read something about this DVD on the ABBA site. Would you happen to know where I can see the cover of the DVD?

I currently have 3 ABBA DVD's; the definitive collection, ABBA in concert and the other documentary DVD, I think it's called The Winner Takes It All? That's a good one too, with a lot of background on the members including vintage footage from their solo careers before they formed ABBA.
    Lucky devil! I bet that was quite an experience. [​IMG]

I'm just glad I was able to catch ABBA:The Movie on TCM recently.

3. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

[​IMG]

I hope this works...never tried it before.

I am gonna search for my ticket stub...it's still here (SOMEWHERE!!!)

Hey, it worked!

Some of the footage is duplicated from "The Winner Takes It All" DVD, but there's so much new stuff that I thought it was well worth it...besides, the pre-order price was only $10.49!!!

4. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    I saw ABBA: The Movie on Turner Classic Movies on New Years Eve, and it was shown widescreen. I am sure it is a safe bet we will be getting a DVD of it soon. Thanks for the info on this title, but how was that 5.1 on the music?

5. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Thanks for the cover, Eric. Seems like a good price too.
    Rick according to the ABBA site, ABBA:The Movie will be released on DVD in the second half of this year.

ABBA - THE MOVIE

ABBA's 1977 feature film ABBA - The Movie, depicting their tour of Australia, will be released on DVD in 2005. Work on this project is ongoing at the moment, in terms of technical aspects as well as research into possible bonus material. At the moment, it looks as the DVD of ABBA - The Movie will be released at some point during the second half of 2005 (July-December). More details as soon as we have them.

6. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Yup, the "Voulez-Vous" tour...in fact, there is a brief clip of them in Milwaukee on ABBA In Concert. There's a scene in a George Webb restaurant, where someone is eating eggs for breakfast and the radio announcer is from WTMJ-AM. The day of that show I also picked up an Australian import LP of "Ring Ring", which I still have...

After re-reading you post, I think you are referring to my review where I was talking about the clips from ABBA- The Movie...THAT was the 1977 tour.

7. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Oh yeah I'm definitely aware that the 1977 tour of Australia was used for ABBA:The Movie. Funny enough I was living down there at the time but had no clue as to their presence. I guess cause I was seven at the time. [​IMG]

I figured the 1979/Voulez Vous tour was the one you went to, just had to confirm it from someone who was lucky enough to have actually attended!

8. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I thought it was inconsistent. Remember, the original source material for this was TV and movie clips (and I found the same problem with ABBA In Concert) so the sound quality and mix is sometimes uneven. There are a few times that the sound level jumps pretty high. There are some live clips that sound nice and full (esp. the audience) but this is not by any means a reference quality disc!