AARRRGGGHHH!!!! STUPID new Propane tanks!!!!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scooter, May 1, 2003.

1. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    It's enough to make Hank Hill pissed!!!!

Ok..these new type tanks..with the new type fixtures...and the new connectors for the stupid new connections...

If I understand this...the Male from the grill needs to go deep enough into the female on the tank...for the gas to be allowed to leave. Well..what I am experiencing is that even though I have gas in the tank...because it's kinda low..it won't flow thru to the grill with the new stupid type connector!!!!

I know there is plenty of gas in the tank 'cause I can fire up my deep fryers and older grill with the same tank! WHAT A PAIN!!!!! "Cause some moron couldn't use the old stuff without blowing himself up...they hadda change everything!!!!

Can you tell I am annoyed!

Ok..rant done...now...

Is there a solution?
    Is this common?

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Scooter, does THIS look like the one your referring to?

Peace Out~[​IMG]

3. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Only when I am refilling!

4. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Scooter,

These stupid new connections piss me off. I have three tanks that were worth about $200 total (two of them are on my RV and are an odd size, thus the high cost). Now they're worth zilch, because it's suddenly illegal to refill them.

5. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    I had 7 of the old style tanks and I never blew myself up!!!

Last year, Lowes would take the empty old style ones and swap'em for the new style filled..at least that saved a few bucks.

6. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Found this
    page about the OPD (Overfill Prevention Device). Looks like it's there to keep the 'tank wipe' from over-filling the tank when you take it to Hank for a re-fill. They claim that an over-filled tank is more likely to go boom if it gets hot. On the positive side of this, I can see how a 20lb tank going boom could wreck your whole day. My cynical side says that they are doing this to avoid a monster class action lawsuit. Oh well, that's the way it goes ...

7. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Wal-Mart still accepts the old style LP tanks for exchange, but there is a surcharge (about $12 I think) because the old is no longer useable in its current state and has to be retrofitted with a new valve system by the company which provides the LP exchange program to the area.

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

you know, I have issues with the OFD or whatever the F those things are too.I swear mine got overfilled by some dude, some how. it was squirting liquid propane out the little tiny hole on the regulator, and since then the grill has never worked right, I thinkt he regulator is FUBAR [​IMG]

9. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Guys,

I've got a semi-related question and figured I'd ask it in this thread since there seems to be some knowledgeable grillers here... feel free to tell me to go off and start my own thread if needed.

We recently moved into a house that has a natural gas grill off the back patio. The grill itself is just about roached: the knobs are missing, handles are busted, etc. I have a one year old Char Broil propane grill that I'd like to convert to use the natural gas feed when the current tank runs out. Anyone ever done this? I couldn't find anything about it on the Char-broil web site, it seems like they want to keep the propane revenue stream in place or something. Sears.com also didn't have anything that I could find as far as converters.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    -Brett.

10. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I had hit several places trying to unload one of the old fixture tanks... all of them turned me down telling me to go to a propane exchange place across town where they'll charge me $12 to take it off my hands. Thanks a lot!

Finally, I decided to swing by Home Depot and found the youngest kid working there who looked the least interested in being there and asked him to exchange it. No questions asked, he took the old tank off my hands and gave me a new style tank.

11. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I dunno. If this truly decreases my chances of going boom, I'm not gonna fuss too much.

Jon

12. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    I work for the #2 propane company in the US. Here is the explanation I got from the Safety guys, regarding the OPD requirements:

13. Tim Fennell

Tim Fennell Stunt Coordinator

My understanding is that if you put a 20lb tank on a scale and add 20lbs of propane the OPD devices are a waste of time.

The guy who just fills the tank until the propane stops flowing is the one who will have a problem. Since I've always gone to a place that used a scale, I am paying for someone else's idiocy. I had to turn in 2 tanks ($8 each) and get an adapter for one of my tanks because I have a Weber grill with a quick disconnect.

The good news is I have 2 tanks that are fairly new now and good for 12 years. The bad news was my "old" tanks were about 4-5 years old and and in perfect shape.

Tim

14. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

sooo now for my 8 bucks I get 80% of 20 pounds, and not a full 20 pounds. Sounds like a GREAT deal for the people selling propane (retail..)

webber sells NG conversion kits, it's just a matter of changing the orafices. My old man has a webber natural gas grill, it's pretty darn nice.
    the spendy part is having someone run the gas pipe in your home.. unless you work in HVAC and can DIY it [​IMG]

15. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

Unless the tank wasn't empty when the person brought it in for a refill and the person adding propane didn't compensate for the 5 lbs or so of propane still in the tank.

16. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

17. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

18. Tim Fennell

Tim Fennell Stunt Coordinator

19. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

20. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

From what I understand, industrial users can still use the old style tanks, its just us retail dimwits who have to spring for the new ones