Aarrgghhh!! Bach is impossible!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zane Charron, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

I'd just like to take this moment to vent my frustration over learning Bach's 'Bouree' from his lute suite BWV 996 on the classical guitar. Although I've played electric and acoustic guitar for 14 years, I've just started (about 4 months ago) getting serious about the classical guitar, and Bach isn't helping. I've often read that his works are some of the toughest out there to play. I love the 'Bouree', I think it's brilliant, but it's a complete bitch to play, let alone memorize (and it's only a little over a minute long).

The fingerings are tough and the lines are continuously changing and modulating. And this is a pretty basic repertoire piece, mind you. Have a listen to it at Amazon. This version is by John Williams, and he plays it a bit faster than I do.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...593268-5136860

Once again, ugh.

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The guys at www.talkbass.com who try to play his cello suites on bass feel the same way that you do. [​IMG]

3. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

As one who plays the piano occasionally, I have BIG trouble trying to play anything by J.S. Bach smoothly.

Trying playing any of his Two-Part and Three-Part Inventions--they take a LOT of practice to play any of these pieces without mistakes.

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

bach in general is a pain in the ass [​IMG]
    brilliant man though.

5. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

So, would this mean you're experiencing some Bach Pain?

Thank you, I'm here all week!

Good luck with it..[​IMG]

6. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Back has three part inventions? Damn, I'm struggling with some of his two parters...

7. andrew markworthy

8. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    When I was hacking about with the cello, I was able to barely get through some of the movements of the first cello suite. Beats me how a human being can play the fifth and sixth suites......

Then you hear this bozo play the violin sonatas and partitas, and they sound as easy as kindergarten etudes....

[​IMG]

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

After taking guitar lessons for about 8 months my teacher printed out Bouree for me. I looked at it and laughed at him- yeah, right, I'm gonna play that!

Good luck with it.

10. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

Well, the funny thing is that I can play it fairly well from the sheet music, but I'm having the hardest time memorizing it. Part of the briliance of Bach is of course his counterpoint and the constant modulating and slight changes to the musical themes throughout. While this makes it incredibly interesting to listen to, it makes it very difficult to memorize since there isn't much repeating involved.

I've probably played this piece 100 times, and the more I play it, the more I realize how brilliant Bach was. Really, it's incredible stuff, and I don't know if someone who isn't a musician or doesn't have an incredible ear for music can wholly appreciate it. I'm not being egotistical or demeaning to all the music lovers here, but this stuff really is on another plane altogether. Endlessly fascinating.

And it's amazing how, even given 300 years of practice and technique, Bach's music is still incredibly difficult to play.

11. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

Well, not to "one-up" any of you - but

Try playing one of his flute sontas - on the tuba [​IMG]

12. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

[​IMG]